Paradigm Signs Sundance Award Winner Ava DuVernay (Exclusive)
The agency's motion picture finance group will also represent DuVernay’s distribution company, African American Film Festival Releasing Movement (AFFRM).
Paradigm has signed writer-director Ava DuVernay, who won the best U.S. director award at the Sundance Film Festival in January for her narrative competition film Middle of Nowhere. The agency's motion picture finance group will also represent DuVernay’s fledgling distribution company, African American Film Festival Releasing Movement (AFFRM).
Nowhere, which had its world premiere at Sundance, follows an African-American woman struggling with her marriage and her identity after her husband is incarcerated. Emayatzy Corinealdi, David Oyelowo, Omari Hardwick, Lorraine Touissant and Edwina Findley star.
U.S. rights to Nowhere were picked up by Participant Media and AFFRM, which have just scheduled an October 12 release. Paradigm repped the film's sale during the festival.
DuVernay also has written and directed the drama I Will Follow. Formed in 2011, AFFRM has released I Will Follow, Kinyarwanda and Restless City.
DuVernay's signing involved competition from UTA and Gersh. She remains repped also by Nina Shaw of the law firm Del, Shaw, Moonves, Tanaka, Finkelstein & Lezcano.
- Best of Late Night TV: Pierce Brosnan Fails at 'GoldenEye 007,' Chloe Grace Moretz Fakes Cello (VIDEO)
- Let's Rank the 'Saved By the Bell' Very Special Episodes (VIDEO)
- Julianne Hough May Return to 'Dancing With the Stars'... as a Judge
- The East Hill Mall's Back-to-School Commercial Goes Viral for All the Wrong Reasons (VIDEO)
- Josh Brolin & Bruce Willis Bring 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' to Hollywood
- Jennifer Hudson's Half-Brother Arrested in a Stabbing
- Jimmy Fallon Challenges Pierce Brosnan to His James Bond GoldenEye Video Game & Wins - Watch the Hilarious Video!
- Jessica Biel Takes On the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge with Her Mom & Grandma - Watch Here!