Paradigm Signs Sundance Award Winner Ava DuVernay (Exclusive)
The agency's motion picture finance group will also represent DuVernay’s distribution company, African American Film Festival Releasing Movement (AFFRM).
Paradigm has signed writer-director Ava DuVernay, who won the best U.S. director award at the Sundance Film Festival in January for her narrative competition film Middle of Nowhere. The agency's motion picture finance group will also represent DuVernay’s fledgling distribution company, African American Film Festival Releasing Movement (AFFRM).
Nowhere, which had its world premiere at Sundance, follows an African-American woman struggling with her marriage and her identity after her husband is incarcerated. Emayatzy Corinealdi, David Oyelowo, Omari Hardwick, Lorraine Touissant and Edwina Findley star.
U.S. rights to Nowhere were picked up by Participant Media and AFFRM, which have just scheduled an October 12 release. Paradigm repped the film's sale during the festival.
DuVernay also has written and directed the drama I Will Follow. Formed in 2011, AFFRM has released I Will Follow, Kinyarwanda and Restless City.
DuVernay's signing involved competition from UTA and Gersh. She remains repped also by Nina Shaw of the law firm Del, Shaw, Moonves, Tanaka, Finkelstein & Lezcano.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!