Producers Attempt to Kickstart Skateboarding Doc 'Shred'
Wilmer Valderrama, Jeff Renfroe and Kathy Herndl are seeking crowd-funding for their film, about a seven-year-old L.A. phenom.
Leave it to a skateboarding film to seek funding on a site called Kickstarter.
Wilmer Valderrama, Jeff Renfroe and Kathy Herndl are producing SHRED: The Story of Asher Bradshaw, a documentary about a seven-year-old L.A. phenom from South Central who is trying to become the world’s youngest professional skateboarder. To raise completion funds for the project, the filmmakers have turned to the crowd-funding site Kickstarter.com.
“We’re so close,” says Herndl, who is also directing the film. “We need $100,000 for post production costs and to fund the film’s entry onto the vital film festival circuit. We want the world to experience Asher’s story.”
Videos of the prodigy turned up on YouTube and have drawn more than 1.6 million hits. The filmmakers have now accumulated more than 140 hours of footage that showcase Bradshaw's inner-city life, his father's struggle to support the family, a series of skateboarding competitions and Bradshaw's incredible skills.
“When I first saw Asher’s YouTube video I was amazed; I knew I had to meet this kid and somehow get involved," said Valderrama. "And when I first met him, I knew that his kind of talent and passion could inspire a whole generation."
UTA reps Valderrama, Renfroe, Herndl and Bradshaw.
- Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp Recap: The Public-Urination Case of a Lifetime
- Miss Piggy and Kermit Have Also Called It Quits; the Summer of Breakups Extends to Animals
- Stonewall Trailer: Jonathan Rhys Meyers Fights for Gay Rights in Roland Emmerich’s Passion Project
- Another One Down: Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards End Their Engagement
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals the Qualities She Looks For in a Boyfriend
- Ellen Page Steps Out With Rumored Girlfriend Samantha Thomas
- Miles Teller Got to Skip the Customs Line at the Airport Because of 'Fantastic Four' Role (Video)
- Meryl Streep Got A Guitar Lesson from Neil Young for 'Ricki & The Flash'!