Psy Moves From CAA to WME
The K-Pop superstar's video for "Gangnam Style" recently surpassed 1.7 billion views on YouTube.
Psy has left CAA for WME.
The South Korean superstar, who broke into the U.S. market in a big way with his 2012 international smash "Gangnam Style," recently saw the video for the song reach 1.7 billion views on YouTube, exactly a year after it first appeared on the video site. Psy was the first music artist to reach 1 billion views on YouTube.
The singer and dancer is signed to School Boy Records, the label owned by Justin Bieber manager Scooter Braun and distributed through Universal Music's Republic Records.
Psy followed up "Gangnam Style" with the song "Gentleman," which premiered in April. The latter hit No. 1 on the Billboard Streaming Songs chart, where it was the most streamed song in the U.S. across such services as YouTube and Spotify for two weeks straight.
Thanks in large part to Psy's success, the global music industry has seen a major surge in K-Pop interest. According to data provided by Google, in the year before "Gangnam Style," music videos from K-Pop artists were viewed more than 2.2 billion times globally. The year after, that number jumped to more than 7 billion, with the majority of viewers watching from outside Korea, Billboard reports.
In Korea, Psy is represented by Seoul-based YG Entertainment. He was with CAA for less than a year.
WME's music department is headed by industry veteran Marc Geiger and includes such artists as Rihanna, Lady Gaga and LMFAO on its contemporary roster.
- Cheryl Hines and Tim Meadows Discuss How to Have an Onscreen Relationship With a Cartoon
- Le Tigre Reunited for an Eclectic Pro–Hillary Clinton Anthem and Music Video
- The Apprentice Execs are Reportedly Worried About Schwarzenegger’s Past ‘Trump-Like’ Behavior
- The Wonderful Moonlight Is a Moody, Gentle Story of Identity in 3 Acts
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' First Poster Revealed!
- Laura Benanti Reprises Melania Trump Impression for Colbert Spoof (Video)
- Reese Witherspoon & Sara Foster Celebrate Candace Nelson's 'The Sprinkles Baking Book'!
- Brad Pitt Hasn't Seen Maddox During 2 Visits with Kids Since Angelina Jolie Split (Report)