Magnolia Picks Up U.S. Rights to Rob Reiner's 'The Magic of Belle Isle'
Morgan Freeman stars in the drama about a novelist who has lost his inspiration.
Magnolia Pictures has acquired U.S. rights to The Magic of Belle Isle, starring Morgan Freeman, Virginia Madsen, Madeline Carroll, Kenan Thompson and Fred Willard. Rob Reiner directed the drama, which will receive a summer release in theaters and through Ultra VOD.
Guy Thomas wrote the screenplay, about a famous novelist whose alcoholism has wrecked his passion for writing and who befriends a nearby family after moving to a summer lakeside cabin. Alan Greisman, Lori McCreary, Salli Newman and David Valdes produced.
“We’re thrilled to get the chance to work with Rob Reiner on The Magic of Belle Isle,” said Magnolia president Eamonn Bowles. “It’s a real pleasure to watch this stellar cast at the top of their game.”
Magnolia execs Dori Begley and Chris Matson negotiated the deal with Cinetic Media's John Sloss and Dana O’Keefe and Castle Rock's Martin Shafer.
Magnolia recently released Melancholia, Page One: Inside the New York Times and I Am Love. The indie distributor picked up several films at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, including The Queen of Versailles, 2 Days in New York, Compliance, Nobody Walks and V/H/S.
Reiner's last film was the 2010 teen romance Flipped.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!