Magnolia Picks Up U.S. Rights to Rob Reiner's 'The Magic of Belle Isle'
Morgan Freeman stars in the drama about a novelist who has lost his inspiration.
Magnolia Pictures has acquired U.S. rights to The Magic of Belle Isle, starring Morgan Freeman, Virginia Madsen, Madeline Carroll, Kenan Thompson and Fred Willard. Rob Reiner directed the drama, which will receive a summer release in theaters and through Ultra VOD.
Guy Thomas wrote the screenplay, about a famous novelist whose alcoholism has wrecked his passion for writing and who befriends a nearby family after moving to a summer lakeside cabin. Alan Greisman, Lori McCreary, Salli Newman and David Valdes produced.
“We’re thrilled to get the chance to work with Rob Reiner on The Magic of Belle Isle,” said Magnolia president Eamonn Bowles. “It’s a real pleasure to watch this stellar cast at the top of their game.”
Magnolia execs Dori Begley and Chris Matson negotiated the deal with Cinetic Media's John Sloss and Dana O’Keefe and Castle Rock's Martin Shafer.
Magnolia recently released Melancholia, Page One: Inside the New York Times and I Am Love. The indie distributor picked up several films at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, including The Queen of Versailles, 2 Days in New York, Compliance, Nobody Walks and V/H/S.
Reiner's last film was the 2010 teen romance Flipped.
- What Does David Letterman's Retirement Mean for the Future of Late Night TV?
- 13 Stars Who Got Their Starts On MTV (PHOTOS)
- Dwayne Johnson Facts: 29 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About The Rock
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- 'Hunger Games: Mockinghay' Teaser Trailer Debuts at Comic-Con - See an Awesome Hologram Video!
- Chloe Moretz & Kellan Lutz Get the Fans Pumped at Comic-Con's MTVu Fandom Awards!
- Kesha Teases New Music on 'The Tonight Show': 'It's Super Top Secret & Awesome'
- Kings of Leon Perform Their Hit Songs on 'Good Morning America' - Watch Now!