'The Rum Diary': Johnny Depp, Amber Heard Bring Hunter S. Thompson's Characters to Life (Photos)
FilmDistrict’s adaptation of the beloved novel is set to hit theaters on Oct. 28.
In preparation for the much-anticipated release of The Rum Diary, fans can get a sneak peek at the film through several stills, featuring Johnny Depp, Aaron Eckhart, Amber Heard and the rest of the cast.
Based on the debut novel by Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary tells the increasingly unhinged story of itinerant journalist Paul Kemp (Depp). Kemp travels to Puerto Rico, where he becomes a devout drinker of rum and becomes obsessed with a woman named Chenault (Heard). Standing in the way of his obsession is Sampson (Eckhart), a wealthy landowner and Chenault’s fiancé.
FilmDistrict’s adaptation, which will open in theaters on October 28, also stars Michael Rispoli, Richard Jenkins, Giovanni Ribisi and Marshall Bell. It is directed by Bruce Robinson.
The film version of Thompson's novel has been a long-time coming. After several versions of the film did not move past development in the early 2000s, producer Graham King aquired the rights in 2007 and brought in Depp and Heard. Principal photography began in 2009.
- Which Leading Actor Will Beat Jon Hamm for an Emmy This Year?
- Huh: The Simpsons Was Denied a Best Animated Emmy Nomination for the First Time Ever
- Best Actress in an Emmys Nominations Announcement Who Had to Keep Reading the TelePrompTer Even After Her Snub: Mindy Kaling
- The 2014 Emmy Nominations Are Here
- Selena Gomez Parties with Pals in New York City - See the Pics!
- Joe Manganiello & Sofia Vergara's Relationship Spoofed by Her 'Modern Family' Co-Stars!
- LeAnn Rimes & Eddie Cibrian Are the Happiest Couple at 'Ray Donovan' Season 2 Premiere!
- Jason Momoa Told 'Game of Thrones' Author: 'Go F--k Yourself'