Sean Parker Talks About the Rise of Napster in Trailer for 'Downloaded' Documentary (Video)
The Alex Winter-directed documentary is a part of Vh1's Rock Docs series.
It's fitting that a trailer for a documentary depicting the creation of music file-sharing service Napster begins with the trademark shriek and hiss of a dial-up modem.
As a part of Vh1's Rock Docs series, the Alex Winter-directed documentary Downloaded appears to trace the meteoric rise of Napster -- and how it led to "music's lost decade" (as one headline states in the trailer) as the industry scrambled to make sense of the new technology.
"We literally went from being high school kids leading normal, mundane lives to -- twelve months later -- bringing one of the largest U.S. industries to its knees and basically fighting what is the largest corporate lawsuit in the history of the world," said Sean Parker, the co-founder of Napster and former president of Facebook, in the Downloaded trailer.
In April, Winter spoke to MTV News about why he chose a project focusing on the creation of the social-network.
"My passion about this was that the real Napster was online from '99 to 2002. It was the invention of peer-to-peer technology in a way that actually worked, meaning [co-founder] Shawn Fanning created Napster when he was 18. He had this vision bringing the whole world together via music and creating a global community," Winter explained to the network.
The documentary is listed as "Coming Soon" on Winter's website. The doc's poster teases the film as "Napster: The Music. The Battle. The Revolution."
Watch the trailer below (via Slashfilm):
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Revenge': Victoria's RSVP Throws A Huge Wrench In Emily's Plans (VIDEO)
- 'Bonnie & Clyde' Mini-Series Premiere Puts Bonnie In Charge Of Duo's Crime Spree (VIDEO)
- 'Once Upon A Time' Returns To Storybrooke, But Peter Pan Is Planning A Curse (VIDEO)
- Kandi Burruss And Fantasia Barrino Tired Of Wendy Williams Attacking Them (VIDEO)
- Weekend Box Office: 'Frozen' Ices Out 'Catching Fire' With $31.6M in Second Week
- Another Very NSFW 'Nymphomaniac' Clip: Jamie Bell Is in the Giving Spirit (VIDEO)
- 'In Secret' Trailer: Oscar Isaac and Elizabeth Olsen Are Killer Lovers (VIDEO)
- 'Star Wars' Fans, Start Saving: Han Solo Gun to Go Up for Auction