Spike Lee Partnering with Variance Films to Distribute 'Red Hook Summer' Independently
The film, which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival, will begin its rollout Aug. 10.
Spike Lee is going the independent distribution route, partnering with New York-based Variance Films for the theatrical release of his latest movie, Red Hooker Summer, which will open Aug. 10 in New York City before expanding to the top 30 markets.
Summer, which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival in January, concerns a sullen, young middle-class boy from Atlanta who comes to the housing projects of Red Hook to spend the summer with his deeply religious grandfather.
“From my very first joint back in 1986, She’s Gotta Have It, I have been an independent filmmaker, and even today, I still am,” Lee said. “I’m elated to join forces with Variance Films for the independent distribution of my new joint Red Hook Summer. We look forward to getting this film into the marketplace, where we believe 100 percent that there is a starving audience for American independent films like Red Hook Summer.”
The deal was brokered by Dylan Marchetti of Variance Films with CAA and Robert Strent of Grubman, Indursky & Shire on behalf of Lee’s 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks.
- The Abu Dhabi Diaries: Can a Film Festival Help Us Overcome Misconceptions, Conflicts and Stereotypes?
- Famed Elvis Photographer Alfred Wertheimer Dead At 85
- Kirk Cameron Urges Christians To Celebrate Halloween By Sharing The Gospel
- Toys R Us Pulls 'Breaking Bad' Dolls From Shelves Following Florida Mom's Petition
- Hilary Duff Joins Mariska Hargitay's Hubby on 'Younger' Set!
- Lily Aldridge Says Happy 26th Birthday to Her Partner in Crime Candice Swanepoel
- Aaron Paul Looks For the Best Pizza in Vancouver Before Shooting '9th Life of Louis Drax'
- Chrissy Teigen & Jamie Chung Eat Free Doughnuts In Celebration of Apple Pay!