Starlet 'Trailer' Teases an Inter-Generational Buddy Chick Flick (Video)
The well-regarded indie film, directed by Sean Baker, offers a look at an unlikely pair with dark secrets.
The unconventional friendship of old and young is not a new premise. There was the romance of Harold and Maude, the sentimentality of Tuesdays with Morrie, the competition of Rushmore. But, despite all the mathematical odds -- there are only two main genders, after all -- it's rare to see a buddy film between old and young females, as if filmmakers are uncertain how to write for women or something.
That's where Starlet comes in.
A new indie feature, which earned earned the Special Jury Prize at SXSW this year, features Dree Hemingway as Jane, a wispy 21-year old wallowing in drug-induced malaise, and Besedka Johnson playing Sadie, a bitter elderly widow. The two meet when Hemingway buys a thermos at Johnson's yard sale -- which turns out to have $10,000 in cash inside.
When trying to return the money doesn't work, Jane works her way into Sadie's life, but the friendship uncovers much more than expected about both women.
- Shaquille O'Neal Unleashes His Inner 'Maniac' With 'Flashdance' Routine On 'Lip Sync Battle'
- People Read #FamousLastTexts Sent To Them By Exes, Hookups And Crushes
- Poland Trying To Extradite Roman Polanski Over 1977 Child Sex Conviction
- Demi Lovato Mourns Her Great-Grandmother In Emotional Instagram Post
- OITNB’s Jenji Kohan Is Producing a Netflix Comedy About an Extremely ’80s Female Wrestling League
- Lauren Conrad’s Returning to The Hills for an Anniversary Special, Because No One Else, No One Else, Can Speak the Words on Her Lips
- Meet the Underappreciated Woman Who Invented X-Men’s Apocalypse
- What’s New on Hulu: June 2016