Starlet 'Trailer' Teases an Inter-Generational Buddy Chick Flick (Video)
The well-regarded indie film, directed by Sean Baker, offers a look at an unlikely pair with dark secrets.
The unconventional friendship of old and young is not a new premise. There was the romance of Harold and Maude, the sentimentality of Tuesdays with Morrie, the competition of Rushmore. But, despite all the mathematical odds -- there are only two main genders, after all -- it's rare to see a buddy film between old and young females, as if filmmakers are uncertain how to write for women or something.
That's where Starlet comes in.
A new indie feature, which earned earned the Special Jury Prize at SXSW this year, features Dree Hemingway as Jane, a wispy 21-year old wallowing in drug-induced malaise, and Besedka Johnson playing Sadie, a bitter elderly widow. The two meet when Hemingway buys a thermos at Johnson's yard sale -- which turns out to have $10,000 in cash inside.
When trying to return the money doesn't work, Jane works her way into Sadie's life, but the friendship uncovers much more than expected about both women.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofía Vergara Reveals Who She Dresses Up For (VIDEO)
- Before The Beat Drops: Heavy English's 'Black Dog' Brings Back Gritty, Bluesy Rock 'N' Roll
- Watch The First Promo For Fox's Controversial New Reality Dating Show 'I Wanna Marry Harry'
- Chelsea Handler Breaks Silence On That Infamous Instagram Photo And Why Network TV Isn't For Her
- Did You Catch the Coen Brothers Easter Egg in Fargo?
- Julie Klausner Talks to Billy Eichner About Billy on the Street, Mayim Bialik, and Getting Fuse to Agree to ‘Ask a Squirter’
- Watch Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and NBA Stars Live-Read Space Jam
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues