Starlet 'Trailer' Teases an Inter-Generational Buddy Chick Flick (Video)
The well-regarded indie film, directed by Sean Baker, offers a look at an unlikely pair with dark secrets.
The unconventional friendship of old and young is not a new premise. There was the romance of Harold and Maude, the sentimentality of Tuesdays with Morrie, the competition of Rushmore. But, despite all the mathematical odds -- there are only two main genders, after all -- it's rare to see a buddy film between old and young females, as if filmmakers are uncertain how to write for women or something.
That's where Starlet comes in.
A new indie feature, which earned earned the Special Jury Prize at SXSW this year, features Dree Hemingway as Jane, a wispy 21-year old wallowing in drug-induced malaise, and Besedka Johnson playing Sadie, a bitter elderly widow. The two meet when Hemingway buys a thermos at Johnson's yard sale -- which turns out to have $10,000 in cash inside.
When trying to return the money doesn't work, Jane works her way into Sadie's life, but the friendship uncovers much more than expected about both women.
- Best of Late Night TV: Audra McDonald Sings Yahoo! Answers, Robin Wright Dances, Conan's 'Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda' Cameo
- John Boyega is 'Aiming' for a Marvel Movie Role
- Dan Aykroyd Assures Us That 'Ghostbusters 3' Will Start Filming Next Spring (VIDEO)
- This Is What 'The Purge: Anarchy' Would Look Like In Canada
- Gerard Butler Shows Off Chest Hair Touching Down at LAX!
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer Starring Shirtless Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson is Here & It's Super Steamy - Watch Now!
- Jennifer Morrison Arrives On Set for 'Once Upon a Time' & It's Getting Us Pumped for Season Four!
- Karlie Kloss Reveals the Secret to Her Amazing Abs