Sundance 2012: Focus Features Buys 'For a Good Time, Call ...'
The indie distributor grabbed worldwide rights to the raunchy comedy about two women who launch a phone-sex line for $2-3 million.
Sundance was ready for some comedy.
Focus Features has acquired worldwide rights to For a Good Time, Call…, which had its world premiere Sunday night at the fest. Sources variously place the purchase price from $2 million to $3 million-plus minimum guarantee.
The raunchy comedy about two women starting a phone-sex line was directed by Jamie Travis and written by Katie Anne Naylon and Lauren Anne Miller, who also stars with Ari Graynor.
Miller and Naylon produced with Jenny Hinkey, Josh Kesselman and Jennifer Weinbaum. Cinetic Media negotiated the deal for the filmmakers.
“The For a Good Time… team have crafted that rarest of combinations – a wildly funny comedy that’s also a genuine and heartfelt celebration of friendship and love," said Focus CEO James Schamus. "We’re so proud to join them in bringing to the world a film that not only lifted its cheering audiences at Sundance to their feet, but lifted our spirits, too.”
In recent years, Focus has acquired the films Pariah (2011), The Kids Are All Right (2010) and Hamlet 2 (2008) at Sundance. The company had been active in circling other 2012 titles before diving on For a Good Time, Call...
Thus far, LD Distribution has picked up the thriller Black Rock for just over $1 million, and CBS Films has acquired the drama The Words for a combined deal valued at $3.5 million. Competition documentaries Searching For Sugar Man and The Queen of Versailles found homes at Sony Pictures Classics and Magnolia Pictures, respectively. Monday, Fox Searchlight grabbed The Surrogate for just under $6 million.
Email: Jay.Fernandez@THR.com; Daniel.Miller@THR.com
- Jared Padalecki’s Dean to Return for Gilmore Girls Revival; Christopher and Doyle Are Back, Too!
- A Fascinating, Heartbreaking Sequence in Touched With Fire, the New Katie Holmes Movie About Bipolar Disorder
- Batman v Superman Final Trailer: Let’s Get to the Good Stuff, Shall We?
- Pretty Little Liars’ Janel Parrish on the Mona vs. Spencer Rivalry
- Kristen Stewart & Nicholas Hoult Get Steamy in the Shower in First Offical 'Equals' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Ciara & Allison Williams Celebarte Keds' Centennial Year!
- Ryan Reynolds Reveals He Played 'Let's Get It On' While Blake Lively Was in Labor!
- Tobey Maguire & Wife Jennifer Meyer Bring Kids Ruby & Otis to Saint Laurent Show at the Palladium