Sundance 2012: Indomina Acquires Ice-T's 'The Art of Rap'
Public Enemy's Chuck D and Grandmaster Caz are among those featured in the hip-hop documentary.
The Indomina Group has acquired worldwide rights to Ice-T’s debut documentary, Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap. An early summer theatrical release is planned.
A detailed look at the rap masters who have developed the craft over the last 35 years, Rap had an enthusiastic world premiere Jan. 21 in Park City. Chuck D and Grandmaster Caz, who are featured in the film and performed a long set with Ice at the ASCAP Music Café on Main Street later that night, were in the crowd and answered questions after the screening.
UTA negotiated the deal on behalf of the filmmakers, including producer Paul Toogood and co-director Andy Baybutt.
Plans are also in the works for a potential TV series spun off from the unused interviews in the documentary.
Email: Jay.Fernandez@THR.com; Daniel.Miller@THR.com
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014
- 'The Flash' Cast Has a Blast at Buzzfeed's Rooftop Flash Bash
- Amanda Seyfried's Boyfriend Justin Long Almost Gets Tusks Sewn Into His Head in 'Tusk' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Naomi Watts Is In Talks to Star in Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition'
- Kesha Gets Picked Up By Boyfriend Brad Ashenfelter at LAX Airport