Sundance 2012: Indomina Acquires Ice-T's 'The Art of Rap'
Public Enemy's Chuck D and Grandmaster Caz are among those featured in the hip-hop documentary.
The Indomina Group has acquired worldwide rights to Ice-T’s debut documentary, Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap. An early summer theatrical release is planned.
A detailed look at the rap masters who have developed the craft over the last 35 years, Rap had an enthusiastic world premiere Jan. 21 in Park City. Chuck D and Grandmaster Caz, who are featured in the film and performed a long set with Ice at the ASCAP Music Café on Main Street later that night, were in the crowd and answered questions after the screening.
UTA negotiated the deal on behalf of the filmmakers, including producer Paul Toogood and co-director Andy Baybutt.
Plans are also in the works for a potential TV series spun off from the unused interviews in the documentary.
Email: Jay.Fernandez@THR.com; Daniel.Miller@THR.com
- Taylor Swift Performs 'This Is What You Came For' During Only Concert in 2016, Giving the People That For Which They Came — More or Less
- In a Move You Can Probably Domo Arigato Mr. Robot for, NBC Is Adapting Hacker Film Sneakers
- Sky Ferreira to Do a Lot of Rockin’ and Headbangin’ in a Black Metal Film
- Ryan Gosling Was Almost Cast on Gilmore Girls, and Other Things We Learned From the Show’s Fan Fest
- Josh Hartnett Says He'd Love 'Penny Dreadful' to Return for Another Season! (Video)
- Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom Reach Divorce Settlement (Report)
- Celebrities React to Chicago Cubs Making it to the World Series for the First Time Since 1945!
- Katie Holmes Fuels Up On Coffee After 'LA Weekly' Meeting