Sundance 2012: Protagonist Sells U.K. and Aussie Rights to 'Sugar Man'
Sony Pictures Classics picked up North American rights to the competition doc Friday.
Protagonist Pictures has sold rights in several foreign territories to the world competition documentary Searching for Sugar Man. The Malik Bendjelloul-directed film had its world premiere opening night of the festival Thursday.
Deals have been closed for Studio Canal to distribute in the U.K. and Madman to release in Australia and New Zealand. Simon Chinn (Man on Wire) produced the project.
Sony Pictures Classics bought North American rights to Sugar Man Friday for somewhere in the mid-six-figure range.
The film follows the strange story of a 1970s-era American musician who never made it out of obscurity only to become a kind of folk hero in South Africa years later when a bootleg copy of his album "Cold Fact" became popular there.
Protagonist CEO Ben Roberts negotiated the deals with Berenice Fugard and Alison Meese of Studio Canal and Paul Wiegard of Madman.
- Greg Scarnici Recreates Iconic Madonna 'Sex' Book As 'Sex In Drag'
- 'Na Maloom Afraad': Revival of Pakistani Cinema in Progress
- Sister Cristina Scuccia, The Singing Nun, Releases 'Like A Virgin' Cover (Without The Naughty Bits)
- Maitland Ward's Sheer Dress Is The Sheerest of All Sheer Dresses And NSFW
- David Alan Basche Tells Us His 5 Favorite Movies Featuring Sitcom Stars
- 'Saturday Night Live' Adds Leslie Jones to Cast
- Best of Late Night TV: Ice Cube Talks N.W.A. Movie, Alan Cumming Recalls Shia's 'Cabaret' Arrest (VIDEO)
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- Analeigh Tipton & Jake McDorman Make Their Own 'Manhattan Love Story' (Exclusive Video!)
- Matthew McConaughey Wishes the Washington Redskins Wouldn't Change Their Name
- Jennifer Lawrence Introduces Honoree Elizabeth Banks at Elle Women in Hollywood (Video)
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Makes First Offical Appearance Since Suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum - See The Pics Here!