Sundance 2013: Lake Bell Sheds Light on 'Rampant,' 'Real' Hollywood Issue With 'In a World…' (Video)
The actress, making her writer-director debut at the fest, stops by THR’s video lounge to discuss the industry subculture of voice-over artists.
In Lake Bell’s screenwriting and directorial debut In a World..., which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, Carol (Bell) faces an uphill battle as she navigates the male-dominated world of Hollywood’s voice-over talent.
“I wanted to have Carol trying to go down this path of achieving this goal of being a voice-over star, and then she realizes that her real passion is to help these women take away this affectation and this tonal vocal virus,” said Bell during a visit to The Hollywood Reporter’s video lounge in Park City. Launching into the classic (and hilarious) “sexy baby” voice, Bell notes that “it’s funny, but it’s real. It is a real issue and it is rampant.”
And while female directors have long been an underserved segment of the industry, as well, this year’s fest boasted a 50 percent ratio of male to female filmmakers in competition. As for Bell, her first outing as a helmer proved a welcome challenge.
“It’s my first features as a writer, director, actor and co-producer, so there was no mystery about, ‘Oh, this is probably going to be OK,'" Bell said with a smile. “I’m like, ‘No, this is going to be goddamn hard.’”
For more from Bell, including which scene she couldn’t make it through without laughing, watch the video above.
Reporting by Stacey Wilson.
- 'Who Killed Captain Alex?': The Best Worst Film of 2010, Uganda-Style
- Zooey Deschanel And New Husband Jacob Pechenik Welcome Baby Girl
- Gwen Stefani And Gavin Rossdale Split After Nearly 13 Years Of Marriage
- Get Ready for Lord Dominator, Wander Over Yonder's New Extreme Bad Guy Who Happens to Be a Gal
- The Mindy Project’s Ike Barinholtz Will Make His Literary Debut in 2017
- You’re the Worst Season Two Trailer Features Strip Clubs and Countless Shots, of Course
- Game of Thrones Gets a New Three-Eyed Raven
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Are the Latest Celebrity Couple to Divorce Because Nothing Is Sacred