Sundance 2013: Lake Bell Sheds Light on 'Rampant,' 'Real' Hollywood Issue With 'In a World…' (Video)
The actress, making her writer-director debut at the fest, stops by THR’s video lounge to discuss the industry subculture of voice-over artists.
In Lake Bell’s screenwriting and directorial debut In a World..., which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, Carol (Bell) faces an uphill battle as she navigates the male-dominated world of Hollywood’s voice-over talent.
“I wanted to have Carol trying to go down this path of achieving this goal of being a voice-over star, and then she realizes that her real passion is to help these women take away this affectation and this tonal vocal virus,” said Bell during a visit to The Hollywood Reporter’s video lounge in Park City. Launching into the classic (and hilarious) “sexy baby” voice, Bell notes that “it’s funny, but it’s real. It is a real issue and it is rampant.”
And while female directors have long been an underserved segment of the industry, as well, this year’s fest boasted a 50 percent ratio of male to female filmmakers in competition. As for Bell, her first outing as a helmer proved a welcome challenge.
“It’s my first features as a writer, director, actor and co-producer, so there was no mystery about, ‘Oh, this is probably going to be OK,'" Bell said with a smile. “I’m like, ‘No, this is going to be goddamn hard.’”
For more from Bell, including which scene she couldn’t make it through without laughing, watch the video above.
Reporting by Stacey Wilson.
- Lana Del Rey Tells Complex She Has 'Slept With A Lot Of Guys In The Industry'
- Jon Stewart Wants You To Help Him Buy CNN
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson And Jimmy Fallon Were Failed Fitness Instructors Once
- From "Eve Of Destruction" to "Already Gone": Conversations with Jack Tempchin and P.F. Sloan, Plus a Godsmack Track
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits
- Matt Lauer Made Rachel McAdams Watch Her 'The Notebook' Audition Tape and It Was Kinda Awkward (VIDEO)