Sundance 2013: Oscilloscope Picks Up Abortion Doc 'After Tiller'
Directed by Martha Shane and Lana Wilson, the film explores the hot-button subject of third-trimester abortions in the wake of the 2009 killing of practitioner Dr. George Tiller.
Oscilloscope Laboratories has acquired North American rights to Martha Shane’s and Lana Wilson’s abortion documentary After Tiller. The controversial film premiered last month at the Sundance Film Festival amid unprecedented security. But the filmmakers were met with cheers rather than protesters.
The film is scheduled to screen next at the True/False Film Festival in Columbia, Mo. Oscilloscope plans a nationwide theatrical release for the film followed by video-on-demand, digital and home-entertainment formats.
After Tiller explores the hot-button subject of third-trimester abortions in the wake of the 2009 killing of practitioner Dr. George Tiller. The procedure is now performed by only four doctors in the United States, all former colleagues of Dr. Tiller, who risk their lives for their profession.
“Martha and Lana have created a moving and unique exploration of one of the most incendiary topics of our time, and they’ve done so in an informative, thought-provoking and compassionate way," Oscilloscope’s Dan Berger and David Laub said. "We were so impressed with their ability to present such a controversial issue with such respect and complexity, allowing the film to resonate equally for people both for and against the procedure."
After Tiller marks Shane and Wilson's directorial debut.
“We are absolutely thrilled to be working with Oscilloscope, and look forward to launching the film with them," Shane and Wilson said. "We made After Tiller to shed more light, rather than more heat, on this issue and know that Oscilloscope’s smart, sensitive approach will get it out to the widest audience possible."
The film was written by Shane, Wilson and Greg O’Toole and produced by Shane and Wilson.
Cinetic Media repped the filmmakers. Laub and Berger negotiated the deal on behalf of Oscilloscope.
Email: Tatiana.Siegel@THR.com, Twitter: @TatianaSiegel27
- Se A Heroic Andrew Garfield Try To Save Vince Vaughn's Life In This 'Hacksaw Ridge' Clip
- Jason Sudeikis Says Olivia Wilde Almost Gave Birth At A Beyoncé Concert
- Mary J. Blige Gave Viola Davis A Sew-In On TV And It Was Historic
- Chrissy Teigen Calls Out A Mom-Shamer For Telling Her How To Hold Baby Luna
- Watch the Nocturnal Animals Trailer If You Like Looking at Amy Adams in Nice Clothes and Jake Gyllenhaal Without Them
- New York Times Critic Commits Every Binge-Watchers Greatest Fear, Views Episodes Out of Order
- A 13 Going on 30 Musical Is Coming to Broadway, and You Know They’ve Got at Least One Musical Number Ready
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Is Occasionally Off, But Mostly On in Season Two