Sundance 2013: Paul Rudd on 'Prince Avalanche' and the David Gordon Green Experience (Video)
The actor and director, along with co-star Emile Hirsch, stopped by THR’s video lounge to give their first interview on the film.
Paul Rudd might be sporting his Brian Fantana/Anchorman 2 shag in Park City, but the actor channels a different decade entirely in David Gordon Green’s Prince Avalanche.
Starring as a Texas road maintenance worker in 1988, Rudd appears opposite Emile Hirsch in a short crew cut and a bushy mustache. Prince Avalanche, Green’s return to the indie world following a slew of studio projects, is based on an Icelandic film titled Either Way.
“We changed the title to be a little bit more nonsense,” joked Green during a visit to The Hollywood Reporter’s video lounge at the fest.
The trio was lighthearted during their THR interview -- their first on the film, Rudd noted -- and when asked about his first experience working with the auteur, Rudd was quick to zing back.
“Oh, I’ve had several David Gordon Green experiences,” he said with a smirk. “A couple of them might have been captured on film.”
He continued: “He’s the real deal. He is an artist. He looks at all of this as some kind of shared experience, where even he isn’t really sure maybe what it is. Or if he is, he keeps it from us and he’s just really good at craftily controlling the puppet strings.”
In THR’s review of the film, critic David Rooney likens Prince Avalanche to a "pared-down theater piece,” noting that the film "breathes with real cinematic expansiveness.” Read the review here.
Reporting by Stacey Wilson.
- Jon Gosselin Performs DJ Gig At An Empty New Jersey Bowling Alley
- A Few Words on Russell Tovey and Why If It Weren't for My Father, I Wouldn't Be a Faggot
- Giorgio Armani Kicks Madonna While She's Down About THAT Cape
- Is 'Bachelor' Star Chris Soules The Mystery Contestant On 'Dancing With The Stars'?
- Best of Late Night TV: Ryan Reynolds Plays 'Egg Russian Roulette,' Cate Blanchett Finally Explains '#SuckIt' (VIDEO)
- James Bond Movies, Ranked From Worst to Best
- 'Sharknado 3' Snags Mark Cuban, Jerry Springer, Bo Derek, and More
- Calling All 'Divergent Series: Insurgent' Fans! Have We Got a Giveaway for You...
- Bobby Brown's Family Filming Reality Series During Bobbi Kristina Brown's Hospitalization
- Kanye West Tells Oxford Students: If I Can Remove My Ego, 'There's Hope For Everyone'
- Dakota Johnson Cut 'SNL' Sketch: Anastasia Steele Visits New Red Room in 'Fifty Shades' Sequel
- Taylor Schilling & Jackie Cruz Form Strong Bond Outside of 'Orange is the New Black'