Sundance 2013: Phase 4 Films Acquires 'Newlyweeds'
Filmmaker Shaka King's debut feature is being eyed for a day and date theatrical and VOD release this summer.
Phase 4 Films has acquired North American rights to filmmaker Shaka King's debut feature, Newlyweeds.
The dark comedy Newlyweeds, which premiered at the Next section at the Sundance Film Festival, follows a Brooklyn repo man (Amari Cheatom) and his globe-trotting girlfriend (Trae Harris) in an unlikely romance. But what should be a match made in stoner heaven turns into a love triangle gone awry.
“We are thrilled to be working with Shaka on his first feature. Newlyweeds is an audience pleaser and we are looking forward to exposing it to audiences nationwide,” said Berry Meyerowitz, president and CEO of Phase 4 Films.
Phase 4 is planning a day and date theatrical and VOD release for Newlyweeds this summer.
Tone Tank, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Tonya Pinkins, Colman Domingo, Hassan Johnson, Adrian Martinez and Anthony Chisholm co-star. King, Jim Wareck, Michael Mathews and Gbenga Akinnagbe are producers, with Andy Sawyer and Neil Katz as executive producers.
Phase 4's Larry Greenberg and Katharyn Howe with Glen Reynolds of Circus Road Films negotiated the deal.
- 'Game Of Thrones' Natalie Dormer to Star in Creepy Thriller 'The Forest'
- 'Fall' Trailer: Roman Catholic Priest's Life Shattered By Letter (VIDEO)
- Is Jena Malone Playing Robin in 'Batman v. Superman'?
- Best of Late Night TV: Bill Murray's Tinder Talk, Jack Black's Cereal Jingle, John Leguizamo's Fight With Patrick Swayze (VIDEO)
- Josh Hutcherson Premieres 'Paradise Lost' in Paris with Girlfriend Claudia Traisac
- Julianne Moore & Ellen Page's Gay Rights Drama 'Freeheld' Banned from Filming at Catholic School
- Shailene Woodley Opens Up About Nude Scenes for 'White Bird'
- 'Shia LaBeouf' Is a Cannibal in Bizarre Theatrical Piece - Watch Now!