Sundance 2013: Phase 4 Films Acquires 'Newlyweeds'
Filmmaker Shaka King's debut feature is being eyed for a day and date theatrical and VOD release this summer.
Phase 4 Films has acquired North American rights to filmmaker Shaka King's debut feature, Newlyweeds.
The dark comedy Newlyweeds, which premiered at the Next section at the Sundance Film Festival, follows a Brooklyn repo man (Amari Cheatom) and his globe-trotting girlfriend (Trae Harris) in an unlikely romance. But what should be a match made in stoner heaven turns into a love triangle gone awry.
“We are thrilled to be working with Shaka on his first feature. Newlyweeds is an audience pleaser and we are looking forward to exposing it to audiences nationwide,” said Berry Meyerowitz, president and CEO of Phase 4 Films.
Phase 4 is planning a day and date theatrical and VOD release for Newlyweeds this summer.
Tone Tank, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Tonya Pinkins, Colman Domingo, Hassan Johnson, Adrian Martinez and Anthony Chisholm co-star. King, Jim Wareck, Michael Mathews and Gbenga Akinnagbe are producers, with Andy Sawyer and Neil Katz as executive producers.
Phase 4's Larry Greenberg and Katharyn Howe with Glen Reynolds of Circus Road Films negotiated the deal.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': 7 Things You Need to Know About the Intergalactic Epic
- Chris Hemsworth Says 'Age of Ultron' Is 'Bigger' & 'Crazier' Than the First 'Avengers'
- Kristen Bell on Her 'Veronica Mars' Homecoming, Tasering the Paparazzi, and Being the Next Bill Shatner
- The New 'Orphan Black' Season 2 Trailer Will Make Your Monday So Much Better (VIDEO)