Sundance 2013: Sony Pictures Classics Acquires 'Before Midnight' for Mid-Seven Figures
The film, which premiered Jan. 20 at Eccles Theatre, marks the final chapter in Linklater's "Before" trilogy.
Sony Pictures Classics has acquired domestic and U.K. rights for Richard Linklater's romantic drama Before Midnight. Sources peg the deal as mid-seven figures with a significant backend, making it one of the biggest of the festival
The film marks the final chapter in Linklater's Before series (preceded by 1995's Before Sunrise and 2004's Before Sunset). The drama picks up with Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) two decades after their first meeting on a train bound for Venice. This time, the story of the star-crossed lovers takes place just before the clock strikes midnight.
The now-shuttered Warner Independent Pictures released Before Sunset, which earned some $6 million at the U.S. box office.
Before Midnight premiered at Eccles Theatre on Jan. 20 as part of Sundance's Premieres category.
THR's John DeFore praised the film, saying "audiences who have aged along with Celine and Jesse will treasure this new episode."
Cinetic's John Sloss repped the filmmakers.
- Britney Spears And Her Sons Recreate Her 'Oops... I Did It Again' Album Cover Photo
- 'Inside Out' And 'Jurassic World' Terminated 'Terminator Genisys' At The Box Office
- The Midnight Swim Redeems Found-Footage Horror: Hour of the Wolf Movie Review
- Kim Kardashian's 4th Of July Outfit Is Some Next Level Patriotism
- Weekend Box Office: 'Magic Mike XXL' and 'Terminator Genisys' Lose Out to 'Jurassic World'
- 9 Reasons Why 'Independence Day' Is Still Cool As Sh--
- 'Victor Frankenstein' First Photo Shows James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe in Peril
- Conan O'Brien Crashed a 'Magic Mike XXL' Girls Night - and It Was Glorious