Sundance 2013: Sony Pictures Classics Acquires 'Before Midnight' for Mid-Seven Figures
The film, which premiered Jan. 20 at Eccles Theatre, marks the final chapter in Linklater's "Before" trilogy.
Sony Pictures Classics has acquired domestic and U.K. rights for Richard Linklater's romantic drama Before Midnight. Sources peg the deal as mid-seven figures with a significant backend, making it one of the biggest of the festival
The film marks the final chapter in Linklater's Before series (preceded by 1995's Before Sunrise and 2004's Before Sunset). The drama picks up with Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) two decades after their first meeting on a train bound for Venice. This time, the story of the star-crossed lovers takes place just before the clock strikes midnight.
The now-shuttered Warner Independent Pictures released Before Sunset, which earned some $6 million at the U.S. box office.
Before Midnight premiered at Eccles Theatre on Jan. 20 as part of Sundance's Premieres category.
THR's John DeFore praised the film, saying "audiences who have aged along with Celine and Jesse will treasure this new episode."
Cinetic's John Sloss repped the filmmakers.
- Vintage Anthony Bourdain Interview Reveals 4 Things Everyone Should Know About Dining Out
- This Woman Eye-Rolling At A Trump Supporter Is All Of Us
- Republicans Are Having A Meltdown Over Bradley Cooper's Presence At The DNC
- George Carlin's Daughter Says Her Dad Would Consider Trump A Misogynistic Racist
- The Great Wall Trailer: Apparently, Matt Damon Is the Hero China Needs Right Now
- Sesame Street Drops Three Long-standing Human Characters, Which Certainly Teaches the Children Some Kind of Lesson
- JoJo Finally Has a New Album, and a New Single Too
- Ice Cube and VH1 Are Making a Hip-Hop Version of Hollywood Squares, Creatively Named Hip Hop Squares