Sundance 2013: 'Wire' Actor Shooting Nigerian Crime Film (Exclusive)
Gbenga Akinnagbe is starring in and producing "Render to Caeser."
PARK CITY -- Gbenga Akinnagbe, who memorably played a killer on multiple seasons of HBO’s The Wire, is starring in and producing Render to Caesar, which is in production in Nigeria.
The film is being backed by former banker Desmond Ovbiagele and is part of Nigeria’s massive film industry. The difference, however, is that the film is being made in the English language and is hoping to land international distribution.
Caesar revolves around two detectives stalking a psychotic crime lord in Lagos and is directed by Onyekachi “Lucky” Ejim. Ovbiagele, Akinnagbe and Omoni Oboli are producing.
Akinnagbe is taking a break from shooting and is in Sundance this week for his producing debut Newlyweeds, a stoner romantic comedy. He also stars in the Slamdance film Big Words, the debut film by former Entertainment Weekly editor Neil Drumming. A third feature, Home, in which Akinnagbe stars, is holding private screenings in Park City during the festival.
The upcoming year looks to be a busy one for Akinnagbe. The actor will be seen in a recurring role in The Good Wife and appear as a Nigerian crime lord in the USA Network’s new series Graceland. His other TV credits Damages and Nurse Jackie.
- 7 Things You Didn't Know About 'Girls,' As Told By Jenni Konner
- Downloading Music Is Quickly Going Out Of Fashion
- Citizenfour Review: Quiet Moments in a Hong Kong Hotel Room as Edward Snowden, Journalists Fight to Save Democracy
- Polyenso's '17 New Years' Just Created Your New Favorite Genre Of Music
- Ryan Gosling Spotted for First Time Since His Baby's Birth!
- Hilary Swank, Ashlee Simpson & Evan Ross Have A Special Evening at Photographer Brian Bowen Smith's Wildlife Show
- Jennifer Lawrence's Umbrella Protects Her from the Sun!
- Evan Rachel Wood Snuggles Up with Katherine Moennig in First Pictures Together!