Sundance: Magnolia Pictures Nabs World Distribution Rights to 'Touchy Feely'
The pickup marks a reunion between writer-director Lynn Shelton and Magnolia, which released her 2009 comedy "Humpday."
Magnolia Pictures has acquired world distribution rights to writer-director Lynn Shelton's Touchy Feely.
The pickup marks a reunion between Shelton and Magnolia, the distributor of Shelton’s 2009 comedy Humpday.
Touchy Feely, which made its world premiere in competition at the Sundance Film Festival in January, is Shelton’s follow-up film to Your Sister's Sister. (Rosemarie DeWitt, who stars in Touchy Feely, received an Independent Spirit Awards nomination for her supporting role in Your Sister's Sister.)
Josh Pais, Ellen Page, Scoot McNairy, Allison Janney, Ron Livingston and newcomer Tomo Nakayama round out the cast of Touchy Feely.
The film revolves around a family whose delicate psychic balance suddenly unravels. DeWitt plays Abby, a sought-after massage therapist and a free spirit, while her brother Paul (Pais) thrives on routine and convention, running a flagging dental practice and co-dependently enlisting the assistance of his emotionally stunted daughter Jenny (Page). But then Abby develops an uncontrollable aversion to bodily contact, which not only makes her occupation impossible but severely hinders the passionate love life between her and her boyfriend (McNairy).
Touchy Feely was filmed on location in Shelton’s hometown of Seattle. The film was produced by Steven Schardt.
“We are so happy to be working with the exquisitely talented Lynn Shelton again,” said Magnolia president Eamonn Bowles. “Her mastery of character and generous understanding of real human emotions is as great as anyone’s working in film today.”
The deal was negotiated by Magnolia's Dori Begley. Submarine and UTA repped the filmmakers. Magnolia’s Christina Rogers will handle international sales.
Email: Tatiana.Siegel@THR.com, Twitter: @TatianaSiegel27
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Colbert To Denver Post's Marijuana Editor, Ricardo Baca: 'Are You A Cop?'
- Yeezy Taught Me: How To Impress Barbara Walters
- Conversations with Alonzo Bodden and Spyro Gyra's Jay Beckenstein, Plus Exclusives by Make-A-Wish, Placido Domingo, Placido Domingo Jr and Danielle de Niese
- Tracy Letts Hopes 'August: Osage County' Wins 'Every F--king Thing'
- 'Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom': Inside the Making of the Nelson Mandela Biopic (EXCLUSIVE)
- Nelson Mandela Dead at 95: Idris Elba, Morgan Freeman Pay Tribute to the South African Icon
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse': Bryan Singer Announces 2016 Follow-Up to 'Days of Future Past'
- 'A Christmas Story' Pole Scene Hilariously Re-Created on NYC Subway (VIDEO)