Sundance Selects Picks Up Arnon Goldfinger's 'The Flat'
The distributor will release the documentary, about three generations of a Germany family, in October.
Sundance Selects has picked up North American rights to Arnon Goldfinger’s The Flat, a documentary about three generations of Germans that had its world premiere at the Jerusalem International Film Festival, where it was named best documentary, in 2011.
Additionally, the distributor, which is planning an Oct. 19 theatrical release for the film, acquired all Latin American, Scandinavian and U.K. rights, excluding Jewish festival and educational rights, which are being handled by Ruth Diskin Films.
In addition to directing, Goldfinger wrote the film and produced it with Thomas Kufus. Sifting through photos, letters and files in his grandmother’s flat in Tel Aviv after she passed away at age 98, Goldfinger began to uncover clues bout a complicated family history, involving both Jewish and non-Jewish members, and how the family was affected by World War II and its aftermath.
"Arnon Goldfinger's The Flat is meticulously researched, immensely entertaining and instantly relatable to anyone who has ever had questions about their family. Goldfinger is able to take us on a remarkable journey through history and gives us a truly unique look at the way different generations viewed the holocaust,” Jonathan Sehring, president of Sundance Selects/IFC Films, said.
The acquisition deal was negotiated by Jeff Deutchman, director of acquisitions and productions for Sundance Selects/IFC Films, with producer Kufus representing the filmmakers.
IFC Films and Sundance Selects are sister labels, owned and operated by AMC Networks.
- Soon You’ll Have to Ask Taylor Swift Permission to Say ‘This Sick Beat’
- What Should I Watch Until You’re the Worst Comes Back? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Aaron Sorkin’s Steve Jobs Movie Begins Filming With Cast Full of People Who Haven’t Dropped Out Yet
- Chiwetel Ejiofor and Margot Robbie Discuss the Postapocalyptic Z for Zachariah
- Jennifer Lawrence Goes Makeup Free & Natural For Doctor's Appointment
- Bruce Jenner Will Document His 'Journey' on New Docu-Series (Report)
- Amal Clooney Was Asked Fashion Questions While Representing Armenia in Genocide Trial
- Dominos 'Fifty Shades of Grey'-Esque Ad In the Spotlight For It's S&M Content