The Weinstein Co. Launches New Label
Tom Quinn and Jason Janego will run the digital distribution channel, reporting to TWC co-chairman Harvey and Bob Weinstein.
The Weinstein Company is launching a new label that will deliver films through digital distribution channels. Magnolia exec Tom Quinn and legal consultant Jason Janego have been named co-presidents of the yet-to-be-named shingle and will run it out of New York. They will report to TWC co-chairmen Harvey and Bob Weinstein.
Quinn and Janego will oversee acquisitions, productions and distribution of label content, with the Toronto International Film Festival their first hunting ground. Their goal is to release a film by mid-2012.
“It’s an exciting time in filmmaking; technology has made film a more democratic medium than ever, for artists and audiences," said the Weinsteins. "There are just so many great movies being made all over the world, and the new digital platforms make it possible for more people than ever to see them."
While at Magnolia, Quinn launched its genre shingle, Magnet Releasing, and acquired films such as Man on Wire, Jesus Camp, Let the Right One In, Page One, Monsters and Trollhunter. Janego has worked as an executive at Big Beach Films, Miramax Films, Cinetic Media and Magnolia Pictures, where he and Quinn were among the first to explore day-and-date strategies with movies such as Bubble, Two Lovers, 13 Assassins and Client 9.
“Our experience in digital distribution has been eye-opening and inspiring; we see it as a new frontier for studios and for independent filmmakers of every stripe," said Quinn and Janego.
The Weinstein Company most recently released Our Idiot Brother and Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World. Upcoming releases include My Week With Marilyn, The Artist, Butter and The Iron Lady.
- Best of Late Night TV: Ice Cube Talks N.W.A. Movie, Alan Cumming Recalls Shia's 'Cabaret' Arrest (VIDEO)
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie
- Florida Mom Petitions Toys 'R' Us to Remove 'Breaking Bad' Figures From Stores
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Makes First Offiical Appearance Since Suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum - See The Pics Here!
- Orlando Bloom & Selena Gomez Walk Just Steps Apart From Each Other at the Airport
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Adds British Actor Max Brown to Season Two!
- Jude Law & Colin Firth Film 'Genius' Together in the Rain!