Actress Sues IMDb for $1 Million for Revealing Her Age
“If one is perceived to be ‘over-the-hill,’ i.e. approaching 40, it is nearly impossible for an up-and-coming actress, such as the plaintiff, to get work," reads the suit.
An actress is suing iMDb and Amazon.com for revealing her age. The plantiff, who has chosen to remain anonymous, says in a lawsuit that "in the entertainment industry, youth is king" and that by divulging her secret, the website has cost her acting jobs.
The woman, who is said to be of Asian descent, says in the complaint filed in federal court in Seattle that she signed up for the pro version of Internet Movie Database in 2008. Soon thereafter, she noticed that the legal date of her birth was listed on her public profile. The plaintiff believes that the site was able to obtain her information because in signing up to iMDb Pro, she was required to give detailed personal and credit card information.
Attaching an age to her name was detrimental, she says.
"If one is perceived to be 'over-the-hill,' i.e. approaching 40, it is nearly impossible for an up-and-coming actress, such as the Plaintiff, to get work as she is thought to have less of an 'upside' therefore casting directors, producers, directors, agents/managers, etc. do not give her the same opportunities, regardless of her appearance and talent," the complaint states.
The woman says she contacted iMDb about making a change but the service refused to budge. Within Hollywood, iMDb has a well-known reputation for sticking to the ages published on the site.
"Both Defendants are fully aware of the information-gathering, storage, and usage processes and have done nothing to stop the unlawful and wrongful practices," says the complaint.
The plaintiff is suing for breach of contract, fraud, and violation of privacy. She's demanding punitive damages of at least $1 million plus asking for a restraining order against iMDb.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack