Actress Suing IMDb for Revealing Her Age Gets Trial Date
Discovery will happen over the next six months and could focus on privacy issues.
Now that Huang Hoang has been outed as the actress who sued IMDb for publishing her age, the case continues on the substantive issues. On Monday, the lawsuit got a tentative trial date. Assuming there is no settlement, summary judgment outcome or any unforseen delays, the attorneys for the parties expect to have a one or two-day jury trial that begins January 7, 2013.
Hoang is alleging breach of contract, fraud and violation of Washington's Privacy and Consumer Protection Act.
Besides the identity of the plaintiff, much of the discussion since the lawsuit was filed in October has pertained to whether IMDb owner Amazon had a right to publish truthful facts about the plaintiff. Perhaps most significant in the lawsuit will be how IMDb attained Hoang's true birthdate and whether the disclosure was insulated by the company's privacy policies.
Hoang says IMDb grabbed her personal info when she used a credit card to sign up for the professional version of the service. In a motion to dismiss, Amazon says this is mere "speculation" on her part.
Both sides will participate in a discovery process that is expected to last until August 10. The parties will have a month after that to submit motions that will determine whether the case goes further or gets wrapped up in the preliminary stage.
Hoang is represented by John Dozier at Dozier Internet Law. Amazon is represented by a team at Perkins Coie. The federal judge in the case is Marsha Pechman.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)