Actress Suing IMDb for Revealing Her Age Gets Trial Date
Discovery will happen over the next six months and could focus on privacy issues.
Now that Huang Hoang has been outed as the actress who sued IMDb for publishing her age, the case continues on the substantive issues. On Monday, the lawsuit got a tentative trial date. Assuming there is no settlement, summary judgment outcome or any unforseen delays, the attorneys for the parties expect to have a one or two-day jury trial that begins January 7, 2013.
Hoang is alleging breach of contract, fraud and violation of Washington's Privacy and Consumer Protection Act.
Besides the identity of the plaintiff, much of the discussion since the lawsuit was filed in October has pertained to whether IMDb owner Amazon had a right to publish truthful facts about the plaintiff. Perhaps most significant in the lawsuit will be how IMDb attained Hoang's true birthdate and whether the disclosure was insulated by the company's privacy policies.
Hoang says IMDb grabbed her personal info when she used a credit card to sign up for the professional version of the service. In a motion to dismiss, Amazon says this is mere "speculation" on her part.
Both sides will participate in a discovery process that is expected to last until August 10. The parties will have a month after that to submit motions that will determine whether the case goes further or gets wrapped up in the preliminary stage.
Hoang is represented by John Dozier at Dozier Internet Law. Amazon is represented by a team at Perkins Coie. The federal judge in the case is Marsha Pechman.
What Hollywood Earns
- Old Dogs & New Tricks: The Oral History of a 'Gay' Web Series (Part 2)
- Steven Tyler Wails 'Dream On' In Maui Like It's 1973
- HuffPost Live's 'Spoiler Alert' Looks Back At This Season's Earliest TV Cancellations
- Remembering Mike Nichols, His Insight and His Introduction to Jacqueline Kennedy at El Morocco
- Emily Ratajkowski Shows Off Her Long Legs at Golden Globes Award Season Celebration
- Michelle Monaghan & James Marsden Have a 'Best of Me' Reunion at Golden Globe Award Season Celebration
- Hilary Duff Reveals Why She Supports March of Dimes
- Nikki Reed Celebrates The Golden Globes With Amanda Crew & Gina Rodriguez