'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit: Sony/ATV Settles With Marvin Gaye's Family (Exclusive)
The publishing company was accused of protecting Robin Thicke's hit song.
The heavyweight copyright lawsuit over "Blurred Lines" isn't over, but thanks to a settlement among some of the parties, the case will no longer put one music giant in an uncomfortable position.
Robin Thicke was the first to bring litigation and sought declaratory relief that his mega-hit song wasn't an improper copy of Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up."
In response, Gaye's children not only brought counterclaims against Thicke and his producers but also targeted EMI April, owned by Sony/ATV, for allegedly breaching its obligations to protect the Gaye catalog. According to the Gaye family's court papers, EMI also administered rights on "Blurred Lines" and didn't want Gaye's family getting in the way of the song's ongoing success. The chairman of EMI is even said to have contacted Gaye's legal representative with warnings about making a frivolous claim.
Put in the crossfire, Sony/ATV responded that the family's move to rescind their contractual relationship had been "ill-advised." Now comes a settlement agreement between Gaye's family and the music publisher. Terms haven't been made public.
The agreement means that Sony/ATV won't have to defend its impartiality in administering copyrights to both Thicke's work and Gaye's. It will also release the company from having to address what was said to have been a conflict inherent in owning 30 percent of the music publishing market.
However, it won't completely finish the involvement of Sony/ATV in the lingering dispute between Thicke and Gaye's children. As discovery is pursued, and as the case pushes its way to a potential trial, Thicke's camp will likely want a jury to hear exactly why Sony concluded the songs were not substantially similar.
- Dierks Bentley Weighs In On The 'Girl Crush' Country Radio Controversy
- Cookie Lyon of Fox's 'Empire' Sheds Rare Light on Black Women's Incarceration and Reentry
- Ryan Reynolds Spoofs Burt Reynolds In First 'Deadpool' Photo
- What Lindsay From 'Freaks And Geeks' Would Be Up To Today, According to Linda Cardellini
- Sean Hayes & Hubby Lip Sync Iggy Azalea & Jennifer Hudson's 'Trouble' - Watch Now!
- Kim Kardashian's Platinum Blonde Hair Looks Amazing on 'Elle France' April 2015 Cover
- Zayn Malik & Fiancee Perrie Edwards Spotted Out Separately After Leaving One Direction
- Carey Mulligan Talks Cooking Spaghetti Bolognese in 'Skylight' Every Night on 'The Tonight Show' - Watch Here!