CBS Sued Over Bret Michaels Tony Awards Accident
3:57 PM PDT 3/25/2011 by Mark Cina
A lawsuit claims producers of the show failed to tell the rocker how to exit the stage safely, resulting in a serious injury.
A lawsuit against CBS and Tony Award Productions claims that producers are to blame for rocker Bret Michaels’ 2009 on-stage injury because they failed to tell him how to exit the stage safely.The suit, filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court, states that Michaels specifically asked producers if they had any instructions about where he should or should not stand during any portion of his performance. They told him he should simply exit from the stage rear after he was done, according to the documents. During the opening number on telecast, Michaels suffered a fractured nose and split lip after he was hit by a large sign descending from the ceiling following Poison's performance of "Nothin' But a Good Time” with the Rock of Ages cast. The suit states that Michaels was never told the scenery piece would be descending or given “any warning of the existence of the dangers it presented.” Six months after the accident, Michaels suffered a near fatal subarachnoid hemorrhage — bleeding beneath the thin tissue covering the brain — “at the hands of the Tony Awards," the law suit claims. “Through his sheer will to live, Michaels was able to survive this trauma,” the suit reads. Michaels alleges producers have "failed and refused" to remedy the situation and even blamed him for the accident, claiming he "missed his mark." He is seeking unspecified damages. CBS had no comment.
2014 Emmy Awards
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!