Class Action Suit Brought Against Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios
Two comedians who filed the suit say they worked on the show "Comics.TV," which has become a success, but were not paid expenses or residuals they were owed.
A class action suit was filed Friday against Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios and affiliated entities for breach of contract, unfair business practices and for not paying some employees the wages they say they were due.
The lawsuit in L.A. Superior Court was filed on behalf of the class by Bernadette Pauley and Thomas Clark, who say they were among hundreds of actors and comedians who worked for Comics Unleashed Productions on the syndicated show Comics.TV.
Pauley says she hosted four episodes of Comedy.TV and that Clark performed as a stand-up comedian in at least one. They say they signed a contract that provided them with a salary and residual payments. Although their union and agents told them they were entitled to residuals, the defendants allegedly stalled and did not pay.
The suit claims that the show went on to success, not only in syndication, but also on a digital cable channel, Netflix, Verizon Fios and elsewhere. “Standing on the shoulders of the show's achievement, defendant Byron Allen Folks and his affiliate entities have been catapulted to celebrity status and enjoyed great success,” says the suit.
The performers also claim in the suit that they had expenses related to air travel, car rentals, wardrobe and gasoline but were not repaid what they were owed, which is a violation of the labor code of law.
The suit estimates there are 112 actors and comedians who performed on the show.
There was no response to a request for comment from the publicist for Entertainment Studios.
View the full complaint here.
2014 Emmy Awards
- Music and Sweets: A Perfect Combo for a Late Night Bakery
- A Labor Day Documentary: 'Brothers on the Line' Tells the Story of the Reuther Brothers -- Founding Fathers of the American Middle Class
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leak Online, Other Celebs Targeted
- Todd English Arrested, Charged With DWI
- Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, & Austin Butler Get in a Group Workout!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Fly Out of Venice After Attending Film Festival Together
- Jenny McCarthy's Wedding Dress Revealed! See Photos of Her & Donnie Wahlberg At Their Wedding
- Lance Bass Proposes to Fiance Michael Turchin For a Second Time - See His New Ring!