Courtney Love Sued Again for Defamation on Twitter (Exclusive)
It's been only a few months since Courtney Love paid to settle that unique lawsuit claiming she defamed a fashion designer via Twitter. Now the rocker has been sued again for comments made online, this time by lawyers who represented her in an effort to pursue money allegedly stolen from the estate of her late husband, Kurt Cobain.
Gordon & Holmes, a San Diego-based law firm, filed suit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court claiming the firm represented Love from December 2008 to May 2009, but toward the end of the representation, Love allegedly became angry when the firm's partner Rhonda Holmes asked that Love refrain from "any and all substance abuse" during the attorney-client relationship, according to the suit.
Love allegedly fired the firm but came back months later asking it to resume representing her. The firm declined, according to the suit, and soon after Love began making allegedly libelous statements on Twitter and elsewhere suggesting the lawyers had taken a bribe.
"I was f---ing devastated (sic) when Rhonda J Holmes Esq of San Diego was bought off [...]" Love tweeted.
The suit also cites an interview Love did in July 2010 with a website:
"I've been hiring and firing lawyers to help me with this." She goes on to tell of a female attorney who has since stopped taking her calls because "they got to her" after she mentioned something to Page 6 of the New York Post. "She's disappeared."
Holmes claims that the statements suggesting she had been bought off or accepted a bribe, coupled with Love's power as a celebrity, have caused significant damage to her legal career. The attorney is also asking for punitive damages to deter Love from repeating the allegedly defamatory actions.
The complaint, filed by Holmes' firm, alleges causes of action for libel, false light invasion of privacy and intentional interference with a prospective economic advantage. It seeks unspecified damages.
We've reached out to Love's attorney Jim Janowitz for comment and will update.
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!