Donald Trump Withdraws Bill Maher Lawsuit
The "Celebrity Apprentice" star will reportedly re-file a claim that the "Real Time" host owes $5 million for an "offer" made on NBC's "Tonight Show."
Donald Trump has voluntarily dismissed his $5 million lawsuit against Bill Maher for failing to live up to an "unconditional offer" made on NBC's Tonight Show to donate $5 million to charity if Trump provided a copy of his birth certificate proving that he’s not “spawn of his mother having sex with orangutan.”
Michael Cohen, a lawyer for Trump, is playing down the move, saying “the lawsuit was temporarily withdrawn to be amended and refiled at a later date.”
Here's our take on why Donald Trump was likely to lose the lawsuit. If it ever gets before a judge, a judge might have to examine whether there was an objective basis for understanding what Maher had to say to be anything more than a joke.
The analysis was echoed by others including Dan Nabel at Greenberg Glusker, who also suggested that Trump might have to pay Maher's legal fees if the real estate magnate failed to overcome an early anti-SLAPP motion.
Trump might attempt to avoid that fate by bringing the lawsuit in another state. Trump could also attempt a different theory on why Maher is liable, but in tweets at the time of the original lawsuit filing, Trump sounded quite confident of his chances of victory.
After Trump sued, Maher fired back on his HBO show, Real Time.
"This is known as parody, and it's a form of something we in the comedy business call a joke," Maher said. "Just like we're the gun country, we're the joke country. We love our free speech and we love celebrities getting taken down a peg. So Don, just suck it up like everybody else."
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Chrissy Teigen's Optical Illusion Ensemble Is Making Us Do A Double Take
- Jon Stewart Mocks Media 'Chaos' Over Obamacare Ruling
- North West Takes Her First Steps, Kim Posts Adorable Picture After Swimming Lesson
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer Starring Shirtless Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson is Finally Here & It's Super Steamy - Watch Now!
- Jennifer Morrison Arrives On Set for 'Once Upon a Time' & It's Getting Us Pumped for Season Four!
- Karlie Kloss Reveals the Secret to Her Amazing Abs
- Juno Temple Grabs Lunch with Her Mom in NYC After New 'Horns' Poster Released