Karl Rove Super PAC Launches Attack Ad Targeting Hollywood-Backed Senate Candidate Elizabeth Warren (Video)
Crossroads GPS blasts Warren's support for the Occupy Wall Street movement in a wide release of television ads in Massachusetts.
The richly funded GOP super pac Crossroads GPS went on the attack Thursday against Democratic darling Elizabeth Warren, portraying her as an out-of-touch intellectual and an Occupy Wall Street supporter with extremist views on the redistribution of wealth.
The ad buy is part of a two-week, five-state $1.8 million campaign by Crossroads, a super pac established by Republican strategist Karl Rove with millions of dollars in seed money from the Koch brothers, aimed at bolstering the GOP's chances of winning back the presidency and a majority of the US Senate in 2012.
In addition to the ad in Massachusetts, where Warren is locked in a struggle to unseat Republican Scott Brown, Crossroads also purchased advertising blasting other Democrats in Missouri, Montana, Virginia and Nebraska.
“The liberal-run Senate keeps pushing tax increases and more wasteful spending instead of dealing seriously with the economic and financial problems our country faces,” Crossroads GPS President Steven Law said in a statement posted on the group's website Thursday. “These ads are designed to alert citizens to the big-government views of these politicians and turn up the heat for legislative action that helps America’s Job Creators instead of Washington bureaucrats.”
The Crossroads initiative comes a day after the group announced it was spending $2.6 million in new advertising in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, opposing President Barack Obama’s proposed tax increases. Warren's campaign received word of the attack ad Wednesday evening and sent out an urgent plea for donations from supporters.
"We're going to need your help, starting tonight, to fight back and set the record straight -- by telling your friends the truth about Elizabeth, by encouraging more people to stand with us, and by helping us get Elizabeth's message out to the people of Massachusetts," Warren's campaign manager, Mindy Myers wrote in an email sent to supporters late Wednesday.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'