'Expendables 2' Stuntman Death Prompts Family Lawsuit
The parents of Kun Liu, killed during an explosion in Bulgaria, have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Millenium/Nu Image and the film's stunt coordinator.
The family of a stuntman who was killed in an explosion during the production of The Expendables 2 has sued producers Nu Image and Millennium Films, as well as the film's stunt coordinator, for wrongful death.
In a lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Zong Yu Liu and Tan Mei Bai, parents of Kun Liu, a Chinese stuntman who was killed in Bulgaria on October 27, 2011, during the making of the action sequel, claim the studio and second unit director/stunt coordinator Chad Stahelski are responsible for the unsafe conditions during a boat sequence that lead to his death. Alleged damages are not specified.
The defendants "recklessly organized, planned, set up, produced, directed, trained, coordinated and otherwise prepared for and implemented the stunt which involved the use of explosives and other similar ultra-hazardous activities in the rubber boat so as to cause an explosion, thereby injuring [Liu] and causing his death," the lawsuit alleges.
The stunt took place on the Ognyanovo Reservoir/Dam in the town of Elin Pelin, according to the suit. Neither star-writer Sylvester Stallone, director Simon West or other actors in the film, are named as defendants. Expendables 2 is set to be released by Lionsgate in the U.S. on August 17.
THR has reached out to Nu Image for comment.
The plaintiffs are represented by attorneys John Denove and William Karns of Cheon Denove Rowell Bennett & Karns, as well as Michael H. Silvers.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- See the Beautiful Book Jacket for Jami Attenberg’s Saint Mazie
- Do I Have Enough Time to Catch Up on Scandal? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Sarah Jessica Parker & Kate Hudson Are Fashion Muses for THR's Top Designers
- Matt Bomer's Robot Hand Won't Let Go of Liv Tyler's Breast in 'Space Station 76' Clip (Exclusive)
- Chloe Moretz: Denzel Washington is a 'Master Class in Acting'
- Jamie Foxx Releases 'Party Ain't a Party,' First New Song Since 2010