Hilary Swank Sues Over Unauthorized Photo in Advertisements
UPDATED: The double Oscar winner has filed a lawsuit against a home-audio company that allegedly used her picture in a promotional context.
Actress Hilary Swank is joining the growing ranks of celebrities suing to protect the value of their name and likeness. The double Oscar winner has filed a lawsuit against a home-audio company that allegedly used her photos in an unauthorized promotion on its website.
According to the complaint, filed May 10 in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, Swank's image and name was used in promo materials for Robert's Home Audio and Video, doing business in Los Angeles. The company, as well as its proprietor Randall Cordero and Cordero Studios, are defendants.
"Defendants did not ask for or receive Ms. Swank's permission to use her photograph, identity or persona in the advertisements or otherwise to associate with Defendats' companies or to market Defendants' commercial products or services," the complaint states.
The suit comes days after THR reported that George Clooney and Julia Roberts had together sued an audiovisual equipment retailer for using their photos in connection with marketing its products. Most states, including California, now afford public figures the right to control the use and exploitation of the names and likenesses.
Swank, represented by Charles Harder at L.A.'s Wolf Rifkin firm, alleges causes of action for misappropriation of right of publicity/privacy and negligence. She seeks unspecified damages.
We've reached out to the defendants for comment and will update with a response.
UPDATE The company's Robert Eidel tells us he took down the offending image from the website. He disputes that the image was used in an "advertisement." " We never tried to profit from this," he says."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David