Hollywood Docket: 'Jersey Shore' Trademark Battle Pits DJ Pauly Vs. DJ Paulie
A Connecticut man is suing DJ Pauly D. from MTV's Jersey Shore for trademark infringement, claiming the reality star usurped his popularity on the Internet and ruined his business.
The claim comes from Paul Lis, aka "DJ Paulie," who once beat "DJ Pauly D." Paul DelVecchio at the U.S. Trademark office.
Last year, there was a rush by Jersey Shore stars to trademark their names, and DJ Pauly's application was rejected because of a likelihood of confusion with a guy who runs a website, DJ Paulie's Worldwide Countdown.
At the time, DJ Paulie was quite proud of this fact, proclaiming himself, "The Original and Only DJ Paulie Since 1973," but now he says he can't compete.
"Anytime you search DJ Paulie, his name and face come up. I can’t compete,” Lis told AP. “Before the show went on the air, my website was very successful and getting attention from the national advertisers. Now, I’ve pretty much been wiped off the Google map.”
In other legal news:
- The legal rumblings against Michele Bachmann are growing louder. Now, Katrina and The Waves say they "do not endorse the use of "Walking On Sunshine" by Bachmann and have instructed their lawyers accordingly." Bachmann hasn't backed down yet, still playing a Tom Petty song at her rallies, which may be permissable with the appropriate license from ASCAP. On the other hand, the musicians will make the case that the performance of music implies a false endorsement.
- The big law firm, DLA Piper, that represented Paul Ceglia in his lawsuit claiming 80% of Facebook based on old investment agreements, has withdrawn its representation. The firm's backing lent a great deal of credibility to the Ceglia's claims. At the time, the firm reported having investigated Ceglia to satisfaction, but the sudden withdrawal opens questions.The firm isn't commenting on what happened.
- Trademark owners of Punxsutawney Phil have settled a trademark claim with TruTV over use of the famous groundhog's image in a commercial that ran during the Super Bowl.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Channing Tatum Joins Rapper Biz Markie For 'Just a Friend' Performance During Comic-Con Panel - Watch Now!
- Salma Hayek Teases Us By Saying She Barely Wears Anything in 'Everly'
- Emily Deschanel & David Boreanaz Gives Us Intense 'Bones' Season 10 Trailer - Watch Now
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Are the Hottest Couple in Miami