Jason Statham's 'Expendables' Surgery at Center of Insurance Fight
Alta Vista Prod., a producer of last year's hit action film The Expendables, is fighting with its insurance company over the reimbursement of more than $1 million. The production outfit claims it is owed money from St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company after having to put the film on a two-week hiatus when star Jason Statham had to undergo minor surgery to remove a growth in his throat.
According to the complaint filed in July in Louisiana federal court, St. Paul Fire and Travelers Companies issued an insurance policy to cover various risks associated with the movie's production. The film starred many older action stars, including Sylvester Stalllone, Dolph Lundgren, Steve Austin, Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger, so obviously, health risks needed to be watched carefully.
It turned out that it was Statham's throat condition that caused the most fuss on set.
Filming was scheduled to begin in Brazil on April 6, 2009, but had to be delayed a couple weeks following Statham's medical examinations.
However, in a motion for partial summary judgment filed last week by the insurance companies, Alta Vista allegedly made a "premature" decision to suspend shooting. St. Paul points to opinions from Statham's doctors at the time that it was "highly likely at that time that [Statham] should be able to continue with the remainder of his filming for the following six weeks without any additional intervention."
Alta Vista decided not to take a chance for the "worst case scenario" with the "unilateral election" for a two-week delay so that Statham could get treatment. Later, the production company submitted a claim for $1.1 million.
The two sides are also fighting over claims made over Stallone too. The actor injured his ankle causing a loss of $306,146, but Alta Vista says it has only received a $139,439 partial payment.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Emily Deschanel & David Boreanaz Gives Us Intense 'Bones' Season 10 Trailer - Watch Now
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Are the Hottest Couple in Miami
- Cate Blanchett's 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' Will Invade Comic-Con
- Kate Beckinsale's Birthday is Tomorrow & She's Looking More Beautiful Than Ever!