Hollywood Docket: Jimmy Buffett Settles Martiniville Flap; Pirate Bay Removes Torrent Links; and More
A look at international legal developments in the entertainment industry.
We're taking a trip to see what's making news in the entertainment law world ...
Read more ...
Margaritaville vs. Martiniville
Jimmy Buffett has settled a trademark dispute with Florida restaurant Martiniville Liquor Bar & Kitchen, which he claimed infringed his "Margaritaville" trademark. Buffett wrote the hit song "Margaritaville" in 1977 and has been licensing restaurants and other merchandise using the mark since 1985. Terms of the settlement weren't fully revealed but according to one publication, the defendant has changed the restaurant's name to the Martini Bistro after realizing that the threat of a $750,000 payout was "not worth the risk."
Merlin Settles Claims Against Limewire
Merlin, a global rights agency that represents a number of independent record labels with acts including Adele, Vampire Weekend and The National, has reached a settlement with Limewire to resolve copyright infringement claims. The amount of the settlement hasn't been disclosed, but Billboard reports that if Merlin's members got a deal commensurate with what major labels got last year ($110 million), Merlin will walk away with $15 million to put an end to a lawsuit that was filed last July.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Elizabeth Banks Dishes on 'Pitch Perfect 2': The Bellas Have Gotten Too Big for Their Britches
- Evan Rachel Wood Has the Coolest Backpack Ever Because It Looks Like R2D2!
- Hercules' Irina Shayk Leaves Craig Ferguson Speechless - Watch Now
- Leonardo DiCaprio Tries to Keep Low Profile After Raising $25 Million