J.K. Rowling Sues Daily Mail for Defamation
A lawsuit over the "Harry Potter" author's supposed "sob story" could test new laws in the United Kingdom.
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is suing the Daily Mail for defamation.
She's suing over a story headlined, "How J.K. Rowling's sob story about her past as a single mother has left the churchgoers who cared for her upset and bewildered."
In court documents filed in the U.K., as reported by The Guardian, Rowling says she was presented as accusing "her fellow churchgoers of behaving in a bigoted, unchristian manner toward her, of stigmatizing her and cruelly taunting her for being a single mother."
Rowling says that's false and that the tabloid has made too much of her reference "to a single occasion involving a woman who had visited the church one day whilst she was working there."
The U.K.'s hospitality to celebrity defamation lawsuits has been legendary because of the absence of an "actual malice" standard for public figures in libel cases. However, English defamation law has just undergone a significant revision, effective at the beginning of this year.
If the case doesn't settle, it could provide an early test of some of the new standards that have yet to be fleshed out by courts there. Among other changes, plaintiffs have to show evidence of financial damages and defendants now have a defense for statements published in the "public interest."
The Daily Mail has already taken down the story from its website.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Newlyweds Naya Rivera & Ryan Dorsey Kiss, Look So in Love in Los Angeles - See Her Huge Wedding Ring!
- Justin Bieber Receives the Champ of Charity Award at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014
- Ansel Elgort & Nick Jonas Are Making Us Swoon at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Bella Thorne Turns Heads at Young Hollywood Awards 2014