Lady Gaga Settles Personal Assistant's Overtime Lawsuit
A deal comes as the singer was prepared to appear at a trial next month.
Lady Gaga has resolved a lawsuit brought by her former personal assistant Jennifer O'Neill.
O'Neill sued the singer born Stefani Germanotta and claimed nearly $400,000 in overtime pay, plus further damages, after serving at Gaga's "beck and call" from 2009 to 2011 during the Monster Ball Tour.
For her services, O'Neill got a $75,000 annual salary, but O'Neill wanted time and a half for allegedly working 24/7 during this time to do things like having to sleep in Gaga's bed and get up in the middle of the night to change a DVD. The plaintiff brought claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act and New York wage laws.
In a deposition, Gaga unleashed her anger on her ex-assistant. O'Neill was a "f---ing hood rat who is suing me for money that she didn’t earn," said Gaga, adding that O'Neill "deserves every dollar of her $75,000 that we agreed to. But she does not deserve a penny more.”
In September, a judge declined to dismiss the lawsuit, ruling that it would be up to a jury to decide how much of O'Neill's on-call time was work. To make this determination, the judge said it would be the jury's task to figure out whether being at Gaga's beck and call restricted her own personal time.
In advance of a trial next month that would have detailed Gaga's extravagant lifestyle -- including five-star hotels, private planes and free Yves Saint Laurent clothing, according to court documents -- the two have come to a settlement.
On Monday, a stipulation and order of dismissal was entered in New York state court. Terms of the settlement agreement aren't known.
Fall TV Preview
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Lindsay Lohan Dazzles Us With Her Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Nicole Scherzinger Leaves Ibiza After Displaying Her Fabulous Figure in a Teeny Bikini
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Shine Bright at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014