Ex-Model, 79, Sues Over Appearance in 'Mad Men' Title Sequence
The image of Gita Hall was taken in the early 1960s by Richard Avedon for a Revlon cosmetics ad.
Gita Hall May, who had a career as a fashion model and actress in the 1950s and 1960s, filed a lawsuit Friday in L.A. Superior Court against Lionsgate Entertainment charging that her image from a Richard Avedon photograph shot more than half a century ago is being used in the TV series Mad Men improperly and without her consent.
Known simply as Gita Hall in her heyday, she was a model in the photo used in a Revlon ad in the early 1960s. She says that she only gave permission for its use for that purpose and did not agree “to allow, forty years later, her image to be cropped from the photo, in secret, and inserted as a key element in the title sequence of a cable television series, without her consent and for commercial purposes.”
The suit says the image is the centerpiece of the show’s opening, which even won an Emmy in 2008 for outstanding main title design.
Now 79 years of age, the former model is demanding that she be compensated for “the value her image contributed to their property or the revenues that her image contributed to their profit.”
The suit estimates Mad Men has earned over $1 billion to date, and insists that the use of this “iconic female beauty of the age” which “evokes recollections of this now distant time” is valuable because it “perfectly personifies the period.”
Although the show has been on since 2007, the suit says Hall only learned that her face and image were part of the show’s opening sequence in 2012, when it became available on home video. Before that, it was only seen on cable TV, which she apparently did not have.
Lionsgate could not be reached for comment.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!