NBCU Taps Obama Lawyer as General Counsel
Kimberley Harris most recently spent time in the White House, implementing President Obama's response to congressional investigations and litigation matters.
NBCUniversal is re-shuffling the top of its legal department.
The Comcast-owned company has announced that Kimberley Harris has been named executive vice president and general counsel. She will be reporting directly to NBCU CEO Steve Burke when her appointment begins on September 3.
Harris succeeds Rick Cotton, who has been at the company since 1989 and has served as general counsel for NBCU since 2004. Known for being active on the piracy front, and after giving an indication last year that he would be stepping down, Cotton shifts over to the post of senior counselor for IP protection.
Harris will be charged with leading NBCU's legal department, which covers the company's film studio, two broadcast networks, 18 cable channels, more than 50 digital sites and theme park operations. She will also coordinate NBCU's global regulatory and legislative agenda.
“With extensive experience, proven leadership ability and a track record of success, Kim is a great choice to guide our law department,” said Burke in a statement. “I look forward to working closely with her in the months and years ahead.”
Harris is a veteran of President Barack Obama's administration. From 2010 to 2012, she served in the White House Counsel's Office, most recently as deputy counsel and deputy assistant to Obama. She is credited with developing and implementing the White House response to congressional investigations and managed litigation matters relating to the President.
Harris previously worked at the Justice Department.
Before she stepped into public service, she was an attorney at the firm of Davis Polk & Wardwell, where she joined as an associate in 1997 and worked her way up to litigation partner in 2007. She graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University, holds a law degree from Yale and was recently honored by the New York City chapter of the National Organizaiton for Women for her record in government and law.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Vanessa Hudgens Flashes Her Calvins in Low Slung Shorts!
- Man Sings Frozen's 'Let It Go' in 21 Different Disney Voices & It's as Amazing as You'd Think!
- Neil Patrick Harris Skypes in Shirtless for 'How I Met Your Mother' PaleyFest Panel!
- Three Grandmas Read Beyonce's 'Drunk in Love' Lyrics & Their Reactions Are Hilarious - Watch Now!