Noel Gallagher Blames Brother Liam For Oasis Breakup in Lawsuit Response
The older Gallagher takes the latest shot in the feuding siblings' legal argument over who caused the band's 2009 demise.
The word "crazy" doesn't seem to do justice to the ongoing feud between the Gallagher brothers of Oasis fame. Throughout the years, Liam and Noel have hurled insults at each other and been involved in such outrageous conduct that it would seem that each is "libel-proof," meaning no statement could degrade their irreparably harmed reputations. But the two are giving it a go anyway. Noel has now answered Liam's libel lawsuit by returning fire with new allegations about why the band really split up.
In August, Liam sued his sibling in the UK, alleging that Noel had lied when blaming a V Festival no-show and the band's subsequent break-up on Liam being too hungover to perform. Afterwards, Liam suggested that all he wanted was an apology before he'd drop his claims. He got one, suggesting the end of the dispute.
Noel has now lodged counterclaims against Liam, saying that one factor in the demise of the band was a fight over Liam's demand to have his clothing line, Pretty Green, advertised in the band's tour literature. The two were allegedly so at odds over the "free advertising" issue that their already fragile relationship broke down. Noel also claims that Liam threatened him on several occasions, left offensive voice mails on his wife's mobile phone and made one attempted attack, wielding a guitar "like an axe."
Noel's counterclaims describe at least a dozen incidents from 1994 to 2005 of how Liam allegedly blew gigs by getting drunk or getting into fights. The document says: “[Liam] had a history over the years of not only throat problems and of pursuing such an incompatible lifestyle, but of treating Oasis fans and the defendant with disrespect by disrupting gigs, including walking off stage, assaulting them and generally acting irresponsibly.”
The first solo album for Noel has just been released and the songwriter is also said to be in consideration to pen the theme song for the next James Bond film.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Liam told a local UK paper that “After Noel apologised the matter is now in the hands of lawyers.”
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- The Real Housewives of New York City Finale Had One Amazing Moment Involving a Prosthetic Leg
- Check Out the Real-Life Better Call Saul Billboard
- Everything We Know About the Production of Game of Thrones Season 5
- The Real Housewives of New York City Season 6 Finale Recap: Aviva Drescher Threw Her Leg