'The Reader' Author Bernard Schlink Sues the Weinstein Co. Over Movie Profits (Exclusive)
Schlink claims he hasn't been paid at all from the profits of the hit 2008 drama.
Bernard Schlink, who authored the novel that formed the basis of the acclaimed drama The Reader, has sued distributor The Weinstein Co claiming he has been cheated out of millions in profits from the Oscar-winning film.
Schlink, who filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court on Tuesday, claims he is entitled to between 2.5 percent and 5 percent of gross receipts from the film, which won Kate Winslet an Oscar for best actress, based on a $1.5 million option deal he signed in 1998 with the Weinsteins' former company Miramax. Harvey and Bob Weinstein took the Reader project with them when they left Miramax to form TWC, but Schlink claims he has received nothing from TWC and has been sent only one profit participation statement, in violation of his rights.
"The statement is false in that it greatly under-states the receipts, overstates the costs and expenses, and does not correctly follow the terms of their deal with Miramax," the lawsuit alleges.
We've reached out to TWC for comment.
Schlink, a German law professor and judge, published The Reader novel in 1995. The story, which deals with the impact of the Holocaust, was translated to English and in 1998 became the first German book to top the New York Times bestseller list.
The movie version, directed by Stephen Daldry and released in late 2008, garnered five Oscar nominations, including best picture. The film went on to ride awards buzz to gross about $108.9 million worldwide.
The suit, filed by L.A. attorney Joseph Hart, alleges causes of action for breach of contract, fraudulent concealment, money had and received, breach of implied contract, and accounting. Schlink claims he's owed at least $1 million but likely more than that amount.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Debuts First Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Almost Sweeps Young Hollywood Awards 2014 - See Complete Winners List!
- Newlyweds Naya Rivera & Ryan Dorsey Kiss, Look So in Love in Los Angeles - See Her Huge Wedding Ring!
- Justin Bieber Receives the Champ of Charity Award at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014