Blind Advocate Group Files Class Action Suit Against Redbox
Plaintiffs say that the discount DVD-rental outfit's DVD kiosks are inaccessible and they could be using screen-reading technology, but the company has chosen not to in violation of the law.
In the past few years, automated retail kiosks have put many DVD-rental stores out of business. This hasn't been a kind development for visually impaired individuals who now have less access to video store clerks to help get them movies. Now, in a new class action lawsuit in California, a group that advocates for the civil rights of blind individuals is suing Redbox for violating the Americans With Disabilities Act.
According to the complaint filed on Thursday, Redbox is denying blind individuals equal access to goods and services.
The plaintiffs say they enjoy films too, particularly dialogue-driven ones as well as movies where the action can be described by friends.
But visually impaired individuals are increasingly troubled by the rise of touch-screen technology. Many banks have employed screen-reading ATMs, but Redbox, according to the lawsuit, "has chosen to rely on an exclusively visual interface."
This has made it difficult for them to access DVD-rental kiosks. "Blind people must rely on sighted companions or strangers to assist them in renting and returning DVDs at Redbox kiosks," says the complaint. "Blind people must also disclose personal information, including their zip codes, to these other individuals in order to complete a rental at the Redbox kiosks."
The lawsuit is being brought by the Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
The group says that Redbox was informed of allegedly unlawful accessibility barriers in November, but that the defendant has failed to commit to accessible kiosks. The plaintiffs want an injunction to prohibit Redbox from violating the law and damages.
We've reached out to Redbox for comment.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet
- Evangeline Lilly Gets Candid About Lost, Writing, and Comic-Book Breasts