'Machete' Owner Sues Over Robert Rodriguez's 'Machete Kills' Sequel
Overnight Productions, run by producer Rick Schwartz, claims it entered into a deal to allow Rodriguez to make a sequel to his 2010 revenge shoot-'em-up but is being stiffed out of at least $2 million.
The owners of the Robert Rodriguez action movie Machete have filed a $2 million lawsuit against the filmmaker's production company for allegedly stiffing it on tax credits and lying about the budget of the in-the-works sequel Machete Kills.
In a lawsuit filed Tuesday against Rodriguez's Quick Draw Holdings and the production entity Machete Kills LLC, Overnight Productions -- the company run by producer Rick Schwartz -- claims it entered into a deal to allow Rodriguez to make a sequel to his 2010 revenge shoot-'em-up. But Quick Draw allegedly has "failed to obtain a release of the Texas tax credits" earned by the production, which entitles Overnight to terminate its rights grant, and has failed to provide an accurate "approved budget" from which Overnight's correct compensation should be calculated.
"Although defendants have produced the sequel, they have failed to meet a condition precedent to their grant of rights, forcing plaintiffs to terminate the agreement," the complaint alleges. "Defendants have also failed and refused to provide the required budget information to Overnight Productions so that it can determine the producer fee owed with respect to the sequel. As a result, plaintiffs have been forced to bring this action to confirm the cancellation of the grant of rights and to recover the amounts plaintiffs are owed."
We've reached out to Rodriguez's reps for comment.
The suit, filed by Jeffrey Spitz at L.A.'s Lerman Pointer Spitz, alleges causes of action for breach of contract and declaratory relief.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!