'Machete' Owner Sues Over Robert Rodriguez's 'Machete Kills' Sequel
Overnight Productions, run by producer Rick Schwartz, claims it entered into a deal to allow Rodriguez to make a sequel to his 2010 revenge shoot-'em-up but is being stiffed out of at least $2 million.
The owners of the Robert Rodriguez action movie Machete have filed a $2 million lawsuit against the filmmaker's production company for allegedly stiffing it on tax credits and lying about the budget of the in-the-works sequel Machete Kills.
In a lawsuit filed Tuesday against Rodriguez's Quick Draw Holdings and the production entity Machete Kills LLC, Overnight Productions -- the company run by producer Rick Schwartz -- claims it entered into a deal to allow Rodriguez to make a sequel to his 2010 revenge shoot-'em-up. But Quick Draw allegedly has "failed to obtain a release of the Texas tax credits" earned by the production, which entitles Overnight to terminate its rights grant, and has failed to provide an accurate "approved budget" from which Overnight's correct compensation should be calculated.
"Although defendants have produced the sequel, they have failed to meet a condition precedent to their grant of rights, forcing plaintiffs to terminate the agreement," the complaint alleges. "Defendants have also failed and refused to provide the required budget information to Overnight Productions so that it can determine the producer fee owed with respect to the sequel. As a result, plaintiffs have been forced to bring this action to confirm the cancellation of the grant of rights and to recover the amounts plaintiffs are owed."
We've reached out to Rodriguez's reps for comment.
The suit, filed by Jeffrey Spitz at L.A.'s Lerman Pointer Spitz, alleges causes of action for breach of contract and declaratory relief.
2014 Emmy Awards
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!