Steven Tyler Lawyer Sued for Allegedly Botching 'American Idol' Deal
Management company Kovac Media Group claims attorney Dina LaPolt cost Tyler a rich 'Idol' contract.
Steven Tyler's former management company sued his current lawyer on Thursday claiming she botched his contract negotiation and cost Tyler a $6 million- $8 million deal to return to American Idol.
In a complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, Kovac Media Group claims that West Hollywood entertainment lawyer Dina LaPolt was brought in to help the Aerosmith frontman negotiate a new Idol deal at the end of last season, his second on the hit Fox singing competition.
But according to the suit, LaPolt ended up poisoning the negotiation so badly that Idol producers ultimately offered Tyler no raise, which prompted him to exit the program. (He and departing judge Jennifer Lopez were replaced by Mariah Carey, Nicki Manaj and Keith Urban for the upcoming season.)
The suit, which doesn't mention Tyler by name but clearly references him, also claims LaPolt then convinced Tyler to fire his former managers and withhold a commission from an Idol severance payment.
The suit for breach of fiduciary duty and intentional interference with contract seeks damages in excess of $8 million.
A call to LaPolt's office was not returned.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- 'Fargo' Season 2 Scoop: It's Getting Real In Sioux Falls
- The Real-to-Reel Life of Former NYPD Detective and TV/Movie Producer Sonny Grosso Keeps on Rolling
- Jonah Hill Officiated Pal Adam Levine's Wedding To Behati Prinsloo's Wedding
- 'The Flash' Scoop Reveals Enemies, Friends, Crossovers And A Gay Character
- Ashton Kutcher Is 'Super Excited' to Have Baby with Fiancee Mila Kunis!
- Bradley Cooper Hides His Blue Eyes Under Sunglasses at 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Premiere
- Rachel McAdams Tells 'Allure' That She Still Believes in True Love
- Chris Pratt Is Definitely the Leading Man By Anna Faris' Side at 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Premiere!