'Survivor' Financial Consultant Sues Seeking $14 Million in Profits
Layne Leslie Britton claims that Conrad Riggs, a former business partner of Survivor creator Mark Burnett, cheated him out of a share of revenue.
Like the game itself, a long-running fight over millions of dollars in Survivor profits is taking a new and unexpected twist.
Layne Leslie Britton, who once served as a business affairs VP at NBC and CBS before becoming a financial consultant on the television project that ultimately became Survivor, filed a lawsuit Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court against Conrad Riggs and his Cloudbreak Entertainment. Britton claims Riggs, the former partner of Survivor creator Mark Burnett, who previously was involved in litigation over profits from the CBS franchise, cheated him out of at least $14 million.
Britton argues that he helped create the innovative financial structure that ended up making Burnett and Riggs very rich, including their participation in advertising revenue that CBS generated from the mega-hit show.
Riggs later parted ways with Burnett and sued his former partner in a nasty litigation that lasted years. The case settled in March but Britton claims that the Burnett litigation revealed that Riggs had spent part of his time with the company "scheming to appropriate an even larger share of Burnett's earnings to himself by not paying Britton his fair and agreed upon share of earnings that Burnett paid to Riggs — earnings that Riggs would not have made had it not been for the business advice and consultation services provided by Briton."
The complaint, filed by John Schaeffer and Randy Merritt at LA's Lathrop & Gage, alleges causes of action for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- We Spent Half An Hour Talking To Allison Janney About 'Drop Dead Gorgeous'
- Here's How 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Really Feels About That Emmy Snub
- 'American Horror Story' Leaked Call Sheet Signals Possible Return Of A Past Character
- New Visions on Romance: Hour of the Wolf Movie Review of I Origins & Mood Indigo
- Not Only is Zoe Saldana Pregnant, But She's Reportedly Expecting Twins!
- Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, and Daughters Sunday & Faith Join Reba McEntire's 'Pray for Peace' Campaign (Video)
- Shia LaBeouf Arrives for Court, Is Working Out a Plea Deal for His Recent Arrest Charges
- Kelsey Grammer & Wife Kayte Welcome Newborn Son Gabriel!