Terms of L.A. Dodgers Sale to Become Public
Judge rules that public interest in the team outweighs privacy.
A Los Angeles Superior Court judge has agreed that the terms of Frank McCourt's 2012 sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers should become public.
Guggenheim Baseball Management purchased the club in a deal that was believed at the time to be worth $2.15 billion. The baseball team was sold after Frank McCourt reached a $131 million divorce settlement with his then-wife, Jamie.
Since the sale of the team, Jamie McCourt has sued to void the divorce settlement, claiming that the team's value was grossly undervalued in the divorce proceedings.
As part of the case, she got a chance to review a financial summary of the multibillion-dollar deal. The papers were sealed, but Kelli Sager, an attorney representing the Los Angeles Times, appeared in court and argued that the public interest in the team outweighed privacy concerns.
At a hearing on Wednesday, Judge Scott Gordon agreed.
Bert Fields, an attorney for Jamie McCourt, tells the LAT that the financial summary will show that Frank McCourt "got value way beyond $2 billion."
Guggenheim, whose parent company owns The Hollywood Reporter, was represented in court by Derek Sarafa. An appeal is possible.
After purchasing the team, the team's new owners reached an agreement with Fox over TV rights that is expected to earn somewhere between $6 billion and $7 billion over the next 25 years. The structure of that deal has been on hold as the parties work out revenue sharing with MLB.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- We Spent Half An Hour Talking To Allison Janney About 'Drop Dead Gorgeous'
- Here's How 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Really Feels About That Emmy Snub
- 'American Horror Story' Leaked Call Sheet Signals Possible Return Of A Past Character
- New Visions on Romance: Hour of the Wolf Movie Review of I Origins & Mood Indigo
- Not Only is Zoe Saldana Pregnant, But She's Reportedly Expecting Twins!
- Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, and Daughters Sunday & Faith Join Reba McEntire's 'Pray for Peace' Campaign (Video)
- Shia LaBeouf Arrives for Court, Is Working Out a Plea Deal for His Recent Arrest Charges
- Kelsey Grammer & Wife Kayte Welcome Newborn Son Gabriel!