UTA Sues Another Ex-Client for Commissions
UPDATED: 'Scrubs' star Donald Faison is the target of the latest lawsuit over allegedly unpaid fees
Scrubs star Donald Faison has been sued by his former agents for commissions from the long-running comedy.
In a lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court, United Talent Agency claims the actor stopped paying a 10 percent commission after episode 3 of the show's ninth and final season. He also allegedly failed to share the $60,000 fee from an ABC pilot called The Law."
UTA is asking for more than $73,000 in damages. "Faison has not only turned his back on the people that helped slingshot his career, but on his contractual obligations to those people," the complaint alleges.
Faison, now repped by APA, declined to comment on the suit.
This isn't the first time UTA has gone after a former client in court. In the past few years, the agency has sued former producer client World of Wonder over commissions from Tori and Dean, as well as writer Adam Herz over American Pie 4. And last summer a federal judge upheld UTA's right to $325,000 from Men in Black director Barry Sonnenfeld (who left the agency 17 years prior) -- because his UTA-negotiated deal to direct the first Men in Black gave him first shot at any sequels.
The Faison suit, filed by attorneys Bryan Fredman and Jonathan Genish at Freedman & Taitelman, alleges causes of action for breach of contract, accounting, quantum meruit and other claims.
2014 Emmy Awards
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'