Weinstein Co. Sues Kevin Williamson Over Rights to Film Project
According to the suit, Williamson claims he still owns "Shadows," a project the studio says he relinquished control of after a 2010 settlement over the writer's "Scream 4" duties.
The Weinstein Co. has sued writer-producer Kevin Williamson over rights to a film project called Shadows.
In a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, TWC claims it hired Williamson to write and produce Scream 4 in 2009 but a dispute broke out over whether Williamson breached his duties. TWC settled the fracas in 2010, essentially buying Williamson out of his Scream 4 deal, according to the suit. As part of that agreement, TWC claims Williamson agreed to relinquish control over several other projects, including one called Shadows.
But Williamson is now claiming he still owns the Shadows property, according to the suit. The prolific writer-producer, who penned the original Scream, also is executive producer of The CW's The Vampire Diaries. We've reached out to his rep for comment.
The studio, repped by attorney Bert Fields, is suing for a court declaration that it owns Shadows.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neon Hitch's New Single 'Yard Sale' - Listen Now! (Exclusive Premiere)
- Gwyneth Paltrow Steps Out in East Hampton for 'Hector and the Search for Happiness' Screening!
- Bradley Cooper & Sienna Miller Begin Filming Their Second Movie Together, 'Adam Jones'!
- Sam Heughan & Caitriona Balfe Are Picture Perfect at 'Outlander' Screening