Whitney Houston Trustees Take Action to Protect Singer's Daughter From 'Undue Influence'
Bobbi Kristina Brown's grandmother wants to restructure the inheritance.
There's some drama in the Whitney Houston family in the weeks leading up to the October 24 premiere of the new Lifetime reality show, The Houstons: On Our Own, which stars the late singer's daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown.
Emily Cissy Houston, Whitney's mother, and Marion Houston, Whitney's sister-in-law and business manager, have filed a petition as executors of the Houston estate against Brown in Georgia state court.
Both Marion and Emily have been charged with handling financial affairs since Whitney Houston was discovered dead in a bathtub at the Beverly Hilton on February 11. The two are now looking to restructure inheritance payments to Brown, saying Houston's daughter "is a highly visible target for those who would exert undue influence over her inheritance and/or seek to benefit from respondent's resources and celebrity."
Bobbi Kristina Brown made news last week after reportedly being involved in a major car accident along with her boyfriend.
Behind the scenes, the executors of Whitney Houston estate were already at work on handling Brown with more care. A petition against her was filed in Fulton County Superior Court on September 25.
Whatever trouble they sense, specifics aren't offered in the petition. But they do say that that inheritance disbursements to Brown need to now be amended to fulfill Whitney's Houston's "intent to provide long-term financial security and protection for her child."
According to the petition, the trust's "spendthrift provision" were set up to "provide for the proper maintenance and comfort of the respondent, and to prevent the wasting of trust assets."
Whitney Houston's family believes that Brown can still live comfortably with a new payment structure.
The attorney for Brown wasn't immediately available for comment.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @eriqgardner
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Matt Bomer Talks 'Fifty Shades' Casting Rumors, Wants to Return for 'Magic Mike XXL'!
- Taylor Swift & Sarah Hyland See an Off-Broadway Play Together!
- Hilary Duff Treats Herself to a Vegan Dinner at Crossroads!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Express Sadness Over Death of Camilla Parker Bowles' Brother