- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Billie Piper, a former U.K. child star and pop singer, has the title role in “Secret Diary of a Call Girl.” THR chief TV critic Barry Garron recently spoke with the actress.
Piper: I’ve had wild times occasionally, but I felt like I’ve led quite a conventional life. And there’s this underworld, this completely different thing occurring anywhere at any given time with people, and you have no idea about it.
Piper: In the U.K., they’ve known me since I was a young girl, and they feel like I’ve gone AWOL. I’m not the sweetheart anymore, and I’ve ruined their hopes and dreams. But, you know, acting is a selfish thing for me. I do what makes me feel inspired.
Piper: It’s such a taboo subject. We watch “Sex and the City,” and it’s fine that these women are liberated and they have filthy sex and they make no bones about it. The thing that upsets people is when money changes hands. The fact that a woman can lie down on her back and take a man and then get paid for it, people find it distasteful. (partialdiff)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day