- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Russian action star-producer Alexander Nevsky is laboring to launch “Hercules: The Beginning.” Nevsky’s Hollywood Storm will produce the feature on a $12 million budget.
In a move reminiscent of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s role as mythical strongman Conan the Barbarian, Nevsky will play the classic Roman hero adopted from Greek legend (where he’s called Heracles).
An oft-used hero of film and TV, Hercules also will star in a competing feature project that Millennium Films is developing.
Tate Donovan voiced the hero in the animated 1997 Disney feature, and Lou Ferrigno and Steve Reeves played Hercules in live-action film versions over the decades. Universal TV also produced a popular series in the ’90s starring Kevin Sorbo.
Nevsky is a bodybuilder, author and movie star in his native Russia and has spent the past decade making his way in Los Angeles as a writer, producer and actor. Hollywood Storm just wrapped the thriller “Magic Man.” “Treasure Raiders,” his previous film, will get a stateside release through Maverick Entertainment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day